Pc upgrade advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttoadish

Baseband Member
I built my pc in june last year and its time to upgrade it a bit. I'm saving up for university so i'm looking for some bang for my buck (or pound).

My current build is:

CPU: Intel c2d e6420 @2.13 ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte G65P-S3
Ram: 2GB ddr2 667mhz dual channel
Gpu: nvidia 8600gt 256mb
PSU: 350W (named brand)
Case: jeantech phong II
HDD: Maxor 250gb
CD: LG dvd rw

I'm looking to OC my processor a bit, and to upgrade the memory, as i can do both for around £50. I've bought an after market CPU cooler for £15

Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler

But i'm undecided on what ram to get. I could go for a further 2gb of ddr2 667 but this would limit my OC to 2.6ghz. But i would have 4gb of ram.

Alternatively i could go for 2gb ddr2 800mhz ram which means i could potentially get an overclock of around 3.2ghz. but only 2gb of slightly faster ram.

I don't want to OC my memory currently, although is it very hard?

So what do you think will increase performance the most - A higher OC or more ram. I do tend to find my memory is used up more than my CPU.

This will be my last upgrade for awhile.

I use the pc for gaming, some of you will say that i should upgrade the 8600gt to an 8800 but i don't have the money at the moment for the card and a new PSU , wish i could. I should have forked out more money initially when i had some.

what brand is the ram? cause if it's like value ram then you won't get very far on it, so you should consider getting better ram, ie crucial ballistix. also you might be able to fit a better psu into the mix, but it probably would be a better idea to wait until you have moer money and upgrade your gfx card and psu.

Just had a look at the current ram and it's elixir. Did a search on google and it dosen't seem to be very popular. I think i'll go for some named ddr2 800 mhz after all.

if you have 50 just pick up a set of crucial ballistix ddr2-800 and you'll be set for oc'ing. that seems to be the favorite around here.

Crucial just switched the Ballistix 2x1gb to single sided sticks so they are no longer recommended. I recommend going with OCZ Reapers as they are excellent overclocking memory. Crucial Ballsitix Tracers are still double sided and are also an excellent choice.

i heard something about that on here, is it a performance difference? or just a limitation of overclocking potential?

tracers are a bit more expensive, but they come with sick led's so thats good, and yeah +1 on the reapers.

also i have a 2gb setup of corsair xms2 the ones with the goofy heatsinks, and they are quality and oc like a champ, so don't count them out.

I am not sure about the performance/overclocking difference but it must be significant because b1gapl removed all of the 2x1gb Ballistix from the list of recommended pc components. I agree that Corsair XMS2 is also a good option.

*edit*
hey, dont rule g.skill out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom