300W enough for a new fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertigo93

Baseband Member
I'm looking into buying a new case fan that connects to my power supply of my PC, but I'm not sure if my PSU already has enough in it.

This is my computer right here:
HP Pavilion a730n Desktop PC - Product Specifications

I currently have this slot fan connected to my PSU:
Antec.com - Specialty
http://www.antec.com/pdf/supercyclone.pdf

I'm planning to buy either of these case fans, but again, I'm not sure if my PSU already has enough connected to it.
Anitec.ca - Antec PRO 80MM DBB Clear 80mm Double Ball Bearing Fan
Anitec.ca - Antec TRICOOL 80 3-Speed 80mm Fan
Anitec.ca - Scythe Kama Flex 80mm (2,500rpm) Fan

Or, then again, I can just connect the fan to my MOBO, but will either of the fans work with mine?

All three of those fans plug onto the board directly. typically prebuilt systems come with "wimpy" supplies for covering only what is included. Adding one of those in would be no great drain on power while a 350w model supply should be available from HP.

300 or 301w supplies are simply wimpy these days. Rear slot fans for the most are simply added clutter since those seem to move far less air then a good case fan. I would avoid Scythe however.

I almost cooked a cpu on one build when the cheapo fan on a Scythe cpu cooler quit suddenly seeing the cpu get to 85C! Antec on the other hand makes good reliable fans while some complain that they are noisey? The ones used here on different builds are always quiet for some reason.

Anitec.ca - Scythe Kama Flex 80mm (2,500rpm) Fan

I'm leaning more over to this fan, and I'm wondering if its the same deal if I stick it into the MOBO istead of the PSU

It doesn't matter as long as you have an open fan header on the mobo. It's not gonna draw more power or anything.

Case fans in general don't draw on amps like you would see with a video or sound card, drives, and other devices. You could have a case full of fans and still not draw anywhere near what the rest of the system would.

No need to look at RPM of the fan, you need to look at the CFM, how much air the fan actually moves. I prefer Masscool fans, they seem the most reliable for the most part and you can find em cheap as dirt sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom