building a new DAW, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks,

I think I am going to go with the 7,200RPM drive.

I noticed that the 9600gt is PCIe 2.0 x16.... will it work with a regular PCIe x16 slot (like the one on the Gigabyte MOBO)?

yes, they work both ways. I also think you should go with the 9600 gt over the 8600gts... and if you think the 9600 gt is too much for you, you can go for an 8800 gs which scales better then the 8600 gts and also can be found for $100.

If you plan on OC'ing that q6600 we can recommend better cpu coolers then the one you picked.

Hey guys I was gonna post Inquireing about some Info on DAW setups...

I have an Roland VS-880 and ive been recordin with her for years now... But she's showing her age...

I was wanderin is there ANYWAY possible to Eliminate Latency with some kind of External hardware? I can get zero latency with no effects bla bla. BUT I want effects monitoring + Recording in Real time. Ive read around and most say to get some type of breakout Box... wich is an External soundcard im sure?... I love recording on Virtual Studio Recorders... cant beat the quality... but for a new Roland sheesh 3000+

any info appreciated....

Hey guys I was gonna post Inquireing about some Info on DAW setups...

I have an Roland VS-880 and ive been recordin with her for years now... But she's showing her age...

I was wanderin is there ANYWAY possible to Eliminate Latency with some kind of External hardware? I can get zero latency with no effects bla bla. BUT I want effects monitoring + Recording in Real time. Ive read around and most say to get some type of breakout Box... wich is an External soundcard im sure?... I love recording on Virtual Studio Recorders... cant beat the quality... but for a new Roland sheesh 3000+

any info appreciated....

Get a firewire interface...lowest latency possible.

well let me ask this... is there a way i can get Effects monitoring and Real time Recording for less than a new VS?... If so what are some of the Good Interfaces... i seen some M-Audios that looked good... but like i say im new to PC recording...

Beacause if i cant then I would rather have the new VS... i dont want to spend 3k but if i can spend less on PC recording and get the same quality then im game... so i guess what im sayin is i want to spend alot less than 3k lol... BTW ProTools will probaly be the Software i use

well let me ask this... is there a way i can get Effects monitoring and Real time Recording for less than a new VS?... If so what are some of the Good Interfaces... i seen some M-Audios that looked good... but like i say im new to PC recording...

Beacause if i cant then I would rather have the new VS... i dont want to spend 3k but if i can spend less on PC recording and get the same quality then im game... so i guess what im sayin is i want to spend alot less than 3k lol... BTW ProTools will probaly be the Software i use

stop thread jacking, make a new one.

I wouldn't go with the 8600gt either, but since u won't be doing any series gaming...right? I would just go with a 7900gs or 8800gs.

Thanks for the replies.

I am using a Presonus Firepod, Cubase, Reason 3.0, Guitar Rig 2, and a bunch of VST plugs. I ran all of this on an old AMD 3000+, MSI k8t neo-fsr, 1.5 GB RAM, machine that I built a while ago. It worked really well until about two weeks ago when that computer died.... I was recording 24bit, 96kHz with about 3ms latency. And was able to run about 15 tracks w/ plug-ins on most tracks before things would get bogged down.

So I guess what I want out of this machine is more power (more tracks with Plug-ins running).... but most of all, lower latencies. 3ms isn't bad (I could still hear the delay, but it wasn't bad enough REALLY to bother me. Especially If I put a little verb on the track)... but If I could record at even lower latencies then that would be ideal. Unfortunately, I don't know which part of the computer effects latency the most... any ideas?

The problem with all of this is that there seems to be conflicting information about which parts are the best to use (for audio recording). For instance, Scott from ADK audio (who is pretty respected in the custom DAW scene) says use the P35 or X38 intel chipset MOBO, but not ASUS or ABIT (I have no idea why). But if you go to the Sweetwater.com "creation station" they clearly use ASUS MOBO's!!!! This same "conflicting information" trend becomes even worse when you start looking at Laptops. UGH!

One final thing.... I was reading some Mobo reviews on Newegg (I know, I know) and found one where a guy with a Foxconn Mobo couldn't get Windows XP to install because he only had SP1 on disk. Well, that's what I have on disk, SP1 (obviously I would install SP2 right away but that is on a different disk and I will need SP1 to be running before I install)..... Is that going to be a problem? I don't want to have to buy another copy of XP....

Edit:
Oh yeah, I already have a PCI Firewire card that I"m planning on using.... just in case anyone realized that the MOBO I am looking at doesn't have Firewire onboard.

stop thread jacking, make a new one.

I wouldn't go with the 8600gt either, but since u won't be doing any series gaming...right? I would just go with a 7900gs or 8800gs.

Sorry for Jacking the thread... Didnt mean to offend. Just didnt see the point in making a new Thread Named "Biulding a DAW system".. again... Once again Sorry i just wanted to know a few things... Plz Continue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom