Windows Vista SP1 Download

Status
Not open for further replies.
When installing it at the update site where are you? The update site obviously where anything else not included in SP1 will be added to the list as well. When going to review what was in the service pack and now in the update history two more optional updates were seen then.

I've been hearing all about FIOS and it still isn't seen around here yet. But look at what just came out and there's wonder why things are slow at the MS update site. That was one reason for grabbing the 434mb besides knowing someone with a new laptop without connection quite yet.

didn't you you forget xp?

it was way easier to slipstream the service pack than install over the os. try that with vista

You can not slipstream SP1 into Vista. It doesnt work that way with Vista as it did with XP. Microsoft said they will send out the Vista SP1 DVD's shortly after it deployment for free. So give it a little more time and you will see links pop up for the sign up to get your Vista SP1 DVD. I know that there are torrents for it as well cause i have my copy from MSDN already.

You'll have to pm me the link so I won't forget! :p

Eventually I'll probably wait and buy an SP2 copy of Ultimate since that edition was sold out before I could grab a copy when Vista was first released. You couldn't believe the rush at the time and then hear the so called complaints later? :rolleyes:

Well you will be waiting some time to get SP2 version. :p

Gee? I'll probably be running a 64bit edition of 7 by then! :p

When first getting XP here the OEM saw SP1 there. I downloaded SP2 separately after first seeing it put on at the update site back in '04. I guess I can wait awhile for Ultimate since the prices will have come down as well.

I do have one question however on the free slipstreamed disks will that be shipped out. Will those be for all disks sold or just for those who bought the retail editions? I bought an OEM disk while at a pc show when first released.

I don't know. The information was very vague on what they were doing or when. All they said was you could get a copy of the DVD with SP1 for free. They would pay the shipping and all that. So i would guess if you have a legit serial you should get it.

That would likely show whether it's an upgrade or full install disk as well as full retain or OEM. We'll see soon enough anyways.

Slipstream SP1 vista

Mydigitallife said:
Microsoft has officially released Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows Vista. Users who wish to have a Windows Vista installation or setup DVD media pre-integrated with SP1 so that users can skip the step to install SP1 manually on future new or re-installation of Vista system, can have the SP1 files slipstreamed into existing RTM version of Vista so that the Vista setup disc image or media contains Windows Vista with Service Pack 1. To slipstream Vista SP1 into Vista RTM retail edition, follow the instruction of the step-by-step guide below.

This guide is an update to the slipstream guide used on initial release of SP1 beta. Microsoft still does not officially support direct slipstreaming of SP1 into a Vista RTM image, due to a “servicing layer” in the Windows Vista and Windows Sever 2008 that allows for easy update installatino with minimal disruptions, but in itself cannot be updated easily, as explain in a TechNet blog. Thus the solution to slipstream SP1 into Vista RTM media is by using “reverse integration” trick where users install the Vista image to a machine, install the Service Pack and then re-capture the image as in the guide below.

1. Prepare another hard disk or a drive partition (Guide: Change size of existing partition in Vista).
2. Install Windows Vista RTM to the secondary partition or drive (not the main boot or system partition). The primary reason for installing a new copy of Vista in another partition or drive is to ensure that no boot associated files of that computer related to BCD and boot.ini being part of the final Vista DVD image with SP1 integrated.
3. After installation finished, Windows Vista will boot into Out of the Box Experience (OOBE), where users will come to the part after setup that requires users to set up his or her user name, password, general settings and etc. Once in the OOBE phase, type Ctrl-Shift-F3 to enter Audit mode.
4. The system will reboot into Audit mode, and a SysPrep window will pop up and show. Do not close the SysPrep window.
5. Run the Vista SP1 setup installer (e.g. Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe, Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.exe or Windows6.0-KB936330-X86(x64)-wave0.exe), and let the service pack installation completes.
6. Optionally, users can run a new tool comes with SP1 called Vsp1cln.exe to remove older versions of components that have been upgraded to new versions in SP1 to save disk space. To remove these older RTM files, simply run Vsp1cln.exe via Winkey+R (Run command) or via the command prompt after SP1 is installed.
7. After the completion of SP1 service pack, the users will come back at the main Vista desktop with the SysPrep window open. At the SysPrep selection dialog, select OOBE, Generalize, and then Shut Down the system.
8. Boot the system into a WinPE disk or another OS install (i.e. Windows XP). Do NOT boot back into Vista.
9. Run the following imagex command (imagex can be found in WAIK). Note that GimageX (a gui front-end for imagex) is not supported.

imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /capture d: c:\install.wim "Windows Vista Ultimate"

where d: is the drive Vista is installed on and c:\install.wim is the location to store the new install.wim. Replace “Ultimate” after the /flags switch with whatever edition of Vista installed (supported flags are HomeBasic, HomePremium, Starter, Ultimate, Enterprise, ServerDatacenter, ServerEnterprise and ServerStandardand, all no space between words) to slipstream SP1, and also the drive letter of where Vista is installed and location to save the generated install.wim.
10. Once the image has been built, replace the old install.wim in the Vista RTM ISO in \Sources\ with the newly created install.wim using a registered version of UltraISO (Version 8.0 or higher). Save the ISO and you're done.

You can also rebuild the ISO using vLite by extracting the contents of the Vista RTM ISO to a temporary directory, replacing the install.wim and using vLite's Vista Burning/ISO creation features. One can also use vLite to remove unwanted features in Vista SP1.

Note that the whole process above is to slipstream SP1 into a single edition of Vista. To integrate SP1 into all the editions of Vista, repeat steps above for each edition and use the imagex /append function to build an install.wim that contains all the editions of Vista, and then replace the original install.wim with install.wim with all editions or editions required in the RTM ISO image as per last 2 steps.

No thanks. Install a new copy of Vista just to hack it and get SP1 slipstreamed. I would wait for the official release from M$ or get a torrent. This way is bunk cause if you do it wrong you create a coaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom