Comp for my dad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fayt19

In Runtime
Hello, My dad has a old compaq that is about 10 years old and is just junk...he has been saying how it is slow and freezes all the time...So I want to suprise him with a computer! My Limit is $400 USD. I have a list and id greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me tweak it or give me some suggestions. He only uses the computer to watch movies, play pogo online and surf the internet.

AMD X2 4800+ (Seems like a fast chip) - 84.99

GSKILL 2GB DDR2 800 - 44.99

DVD Burner - 26.99

WD 250GB HDD OEM - 64.99

Newegg.com - Rosewill R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply with 20+4 pin connector - Retail (this is a cheap case with a PSU, I know cases with PSU's suck but for a computer like this i think its the cheapest way to go) - 29.99

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA69VM-S2 AM2 AMD 690V Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail (A cheap motherboard with onboard video) - 64.99

Total - $336.96 After Shipping!

Heres the list, I think I have everything, he has a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. But I have a few questions, The HDD is OEM will this cheap case have all the cords needed?

Any suggestions or tweaks to make this cheaper or w/e would help! Thanks!

oem means its just the product, and what you should do is get a e2160 and an abit p35 board and that will be great and about the same. and your mobo will have sata cables and such with it.

also the reason for suggesting intel over amd is intel is just overall better and faster.

also with that you would have to buy a gfx card, so find a lga775 board with onboard gfx and that will be fine.

thats a solid build, and you can just throw in the case of your choice and that's a quality computer that will last 5+ years without any upgrades needed, and when you do need to upgrade to something better that board is quad-core compatible so you can get a lot more out of the system for only a little bit more money

He only uses the computer to watch movies, play pogo online and surf the internet.
Anyone remember that part of the first post?

There is no need for a discreet GFX card and a high dollar mobo. This is not going to be a gaming machine.

Swap out the mobo for this one with onboard GFX:
Newegg.com - Foxconn 45CMX Socket T (LGA775) Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

If you are ordering quickly, this RAM is on sale:
Newegg.com - Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

If you're not ordering right away, this RAM has a good price, period:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - Retail

The rest of the build will work. You can take any extra you have and go for a bigger hard drive if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom