SLi 8800GT vs. SLi 7800GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty090

Baseband Member
I just swapped out my girlfriends 2 7800GT cards and put in 2 8800GT cards. I updated the drivers from the NVidia site.

Ran a simple benchmark (Aquamark3) and was getting 125,000 with the 2 7800GT's and now with the new 8800GT's I am getting 99,000...

I find it EXTREMELY odd to drop 20% in performance with such a drastically higher card put in!!!

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Smitty

just ran it 5 minutes prior to upgrading cards. I copied the program folder to my comp and got just over 200,000... gotta be something in her set up.

Reinstalling DirectX now but not confident that will make a difference.. nope.. no difference.

Going to try non SLI since I was getting 99,000 with single 7800GT.

yeah just purchased them together.. same identical cards, all stock.
I removed one and ended up with 100,000 score with a 99,000 score in SLi...

Tried plugging a separate power supply into the cards to ensure they are getting enough power and no difference..

maybe my mobo/chip/ram combo in that maching just plain old cant do any better even with maxed out graphics... it's am X2 3800+ with 2GB DDR400 RAM on a Lanparty SLi-DR board.. you would still think 8800s would out perform the 7800s though.. no matter if the rest is maxed..

Gonna take out mine and put the 2 of them in my machine to see what happens to test the cards in case one is a dud or something.

Thanks for the second set of eyes! I'll post some results after. (Thank god I havent water cooled my VGA card yet) ha ha..

the cpu probably holds it back, as well as the x8 slots in SLI, these newer cards in SLI seem to perform best with full bandwidth

yeah just purchased them together.. same identical cards, all stock.
I removed one and ended up with 100,000 score with a 99,000 score in SLi...

Tried plugging a separate power supply into the cards to ensure they are getting enough power and no difference..

maybe my mobo/chip/ram combo in that maching just plain old cant do any better even with maxed out graphics... it's am X2 3800+ with 2GB DDR400 RAM on a Lanparty SLi-DR board.. you would still think 8800s would out perform the 7800s though.. no matter if the rest is maxed..

Gonna take out mine and put the 2 of them in my machine to see what happens to test the cards in case one is a dud or something.

Thanks for the second set of eyes! I'll post some results after. (Thank god I havent water cooled my VGA card yet) ha ha..

I have no idea why those 8800's are performing like that... even if the board is older it should at least perform the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom