A referral was returned from the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTallOne

Solid State Member
Installed Vista SP1 a few days ago, and when trying to open Speech Recognition, On-Screen Keyboard and Narrator, I get the following message:

"C:\Windows\System32\[Narrator/osk/sapisvr].exe

A referral was returned from the server."

Typically, this has something to do with the UAC (User Access Control) in Vista, and the programs were working well before the update - though I hadn't used it for about a week before the update.

When I just click the shortcut on the Start Menu, the above message appears. the account I am using is an administrator account, and even if the program is 'Run as Administrator' the message still appears. The program functions normally if UAC is disabled, however this will clearly compromise the security of my system.

I am using Vista Home Premium, and as such Local Security Policy is not available, and cannot be snapped in via mmc.exe.

Surely the SP1 update should have been tested for this? Has anyone else come across the same problem, especially to Microsoft own products.

Can anyone suggest a fix to this issue, without disabling UAC?

Alright the accounts that are created during the Vista install are not the Admin accounts. They are Power User accounts with Admin Rights for most things. The Admin account is hidden.

Even so your error is UAC related. Disabling UAC will not leave you open to attacks if you use proper protection.

Even so i am sure this was tested thru the Beta stages as i have used Voice with SP1 with no issues. I have not used it on my PC since Sp1 as well.

My first question would be have you tried to contact Microsoft to see if they have a known fix for this or if this issue is known to be a bug with SP1? Many people here have just isntalled SP1 and therefor would not know of a fix since SP1 was just released 3 days ago.

Contacting Microsoft will be your best course of action at this point. Since it is very early after the deployment of SP1 not many users will know of a fix for this yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom