Sd Ram? Ddr Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3n3r4d3

Baseband Member
According to Everest

i have

System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

when i searched it up, theres DDR and SD RAM

i want to buy more RAM. so should i buy a DDR ram or a SD RAM? lol. i'm so confused about both of em.

and if i buy ram, does the MHz matter? mine is 200 right now, do i need to buy a 200 Mhz too>

SDR is the old standard (mid to late 90s) for RAM and runs at a top speed of 133mhz. It is definitely not compatible with your board or any current ones at this point. DDR is a newer standard, current until 1-2 years ago. DDR2 is the new standard.

So you would, of course, want DDR memory. Your memory (PC3200) runs at 400mhz so that is what you would want to buy. Slower speeds are compatible but not as fast so there's not really a point in buying them. How many memory slots do you have open and what is your maximum? If you don't know just use the Crucial Scanner, it'll tell you everything. Just click on "Scan My System" and let it do it's thing.

Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com

i think my mb holds up to 4GB of ram. fastest is DDRs, cant hold DDR2. so if i want more ram, i should get 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz right?

i currently have 2 512s. and i think i need more.

umm.. I would just buy two 1gb sticks and use those instead. Should be around $50. Its not good to mix different brands/models of ram. Plus it wont allow you to run them dual-channel mode.

its around 50$ each. lol. yea i proably buy 2 x 1GB PC3200 for now, then buy two more later. thanks guys!

For the record, DDR is a type of SDRAM. SDRAM is the type (dynamic RAM [DRAM] vs static RAM [SRAM]). DDR refers to the fact that it transmits data on the rising AND falling edge of the clock, instead of just the rising edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom