Reboot and Select Proper boot device...

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonsayers

Baseband Member
The past few months, my computer's been giving me various problems across the board, boot problems ; I would get this error, or the boot sequence would freeze, the winxp logo would freeze, very sporadic, small problems. When these problems weren't occuring the computer is fine! like there's no problem. It's like russian roulette to boot my pc at times. Sometimes I can boot up nice and be good for the whole day. Other times I'd get the boot device error, or some kind of error.

If I am getting boot errors, they just faded away and I got the boot options menu pop up, Selecting 'Last know configuration that worked' sorted out the problems (For now). When I got to that screen I knew things would be ok.

I called out a tech friend to analyse my problems and he said the memory was a problem (I have two ram sticks). Can't remember the details exactly, but he swapped them around, and the problems were at bay for a long time!

Sometimes after a 'successful' boot, I get 'Delayed write failed' errors. I've had a couple over the past few days. A eboot / reset shuts them up. But the other day, I got the usual red cross error boxes saying so and so data has been lost. I reset the computer and it said some system files were corrupt and I needed the winxp disc to repair. But leaving the PC off and retrying a couple of hours later, was fine, like nothing happened! Stupid machine

Now I got the exact same symptoms. I switched the ram around AGAIN and that kept the problems away for a little while again.

Now The past couple of days have been terrible. Booting has been OKAY.
It's just the freezes while gaming. I have two flashing dots on the front of my pc case, when the game / pc freezes. These dots are solid light.

I just reset the pc and 50/50 it'll just reboot, or give me a problem of some sort, which if you just leave it alone (like a spoilt child chucking its toys out of it's pram, or as I like to say, a spoilt machine chuckin its files out the recycle bin) it soon sorts it self out.

THE PROBLEM

But alas, I am now 100% lumbered with the 'Reboot and Select Proper boot device' which, usually fixes itself after many resets, or just cool down time. But now it's not going away.

I don't even get a boot sequence (the white text and black screen). I've done some googling and other people who get this problem at least get their sequence and are able to access BIOS (which I hate the sound of doing). But My PC just beeps and I get 'Reboot and Select Proper boot device'.

So now I have nothing, nothing I can do.

I've swapped ram around. Checked connections to see if any are loose. That's as much as I can do (to MY knowledge).

I don't know much about BIOS, connections and stuff so advanced solutions (without proper explanation) are as good as instructions for a dog to drive a helicopter.

Specs (For what its worth)
AMD 4200
600psu
WINXP home SP2
2gb 3200 ram
250gb hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom