Pointless downgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcream

Baseband Member
Wondering if I would be inadvertently downgrading myself if I bought a bare bones from newegg put my 2gigs of ram, 8600gt and 2.8 dual core into it to replace a about 3 year old Dell system. I figure the only real difference in it would be the Mobo and power supply. I don't really know much about Mobo's or how to compare then aside from the simple things like what type of processor and ram they support. Only reasons I'm considering this is because the case I have now has bad airflow and as you may know Dell mounts all the power supply wires to the case and has pointless little extras in the case, making it hard for further upgrades. Also the power supply is small (350w) witch is forcing me to have my two CD drives disconnected so my TV tuner card gets enough power.

how much are you willing to spend in upgrades? if u give us a bit of a budget im sure we can come up wit a good upgrade line up for you. and if ud liek to stick to intel or amd.

I'd say my budget is about $200 I know thats not much to work with but I've seen bare bones that will support everything I'm trying to put into it for under that but not sure if that's going to downgrade me, with is why I'm posting :)

Actually, DJ's setup is a good one, considering you will be re-using your parts. An upgrade is just that, an upgrade. If you were building new it would be different.

Plus, you could later upgrade to a C2D later on, as that mobo can handle up through a quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom