Motherboard vs Motherboard - OC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK......

SO here's what I am thinking.

I think I am going to get this:

Motherboard

ASUS Maximus Formula Intel X38 Core 2 Quad Socket 775 1600MHz PC2-9280 (DDR2-1160) ATX Motherboard Retail

ASUS Maximus Formula Intel X38 Core 2 Quad Socket 775 1600MHz PC2-9280 (DDR2-1160) ATX Motherboard R at ZipZoomfly

Price: $249.99

This motherboard seems to be alot better than the DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX motherboard in terms of overclocking.

It says "crossfire ready" will this mobo work with an Nvidia 8800 GTS?

Does everyone agree that this is the one I should get, being an extreme overclocker?

ALSO

I think that this board comes with the SupremeFX II audio card thing...If this board does come with the audio card.. should I use it or my Creative Sound Blaster Fatality X-Treme gamer. I believe I should use my extreme gamer card but.. I never heard of Supreme FX before.

It will work with one 8800gts however sli is not possible.

The supremeFX audio thingy is simply on board audio placed on a riser card. Definitely use your x-fi over it.

Cooler Express 2007 Design Super Single Evaporator CPU Cooling Unit - All Sockets (478 / 754 / 775 / 939 / 940 / AM2 / Xeon)

Price: $799.95

This is the unit my uncle told me about. He is going to provide me with his phase cooling setup - FREE! :)

He says it is just like the one in the link above. Originally I told him about liquid nitrogen... he wants to experiment with that now. I guess phase change will get you to about -55C less than half of what liquid nitrogen will do but it is kinda hard to get your hands on some liquid nitrogen in these parts.

ALSO:

Does anyone know of a brand of 1200MHz Overclocking RAM besides Kingston? I can't find any anywhere.. and what are your views on 1200MHz RAM?

Does anyone know of a brand of 1200MHz Overclocking RAM besides Kingston? I can't find any anywhere.. and what are your views on 1200MHz RAM?

What does it matter?

RAM can be clocked to any speed, all you have to do is change Voltage and timmings to allow for the higher speed.

You can buy DDR2 800 and just up voltage and loosen timmings to hit any speed.

Over on hard forum there is a guy with DDR3 at 1.6 Ghz running timmings like 7-7-7-20, with like voltage of 2.5 ish.

I can push a Q6600 to 4GHz but it is hard.. It really isn't made for that. I don't want to have to squeeze my RAM that hard. If Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 can run at high speeds as I hear they can I may consider getting that RAM. I don't know much about RAM in general except for the timings. Lower is tighter which is faster, and looser timings are better for overclocking and you can loosen them with the voltage you are putting to them.

On my SIG at the bottom of my posts I have my build. THE SIG DOES NOT INCLUDE PHASE COOLING..not enough characters left to put that in.

Mainly:

Does everyone agree that the rig in my SIG can run at 4GHz?
(I have phase cooling in 2 weeks :) )

The reason for the 4GHz is I am sick of slow junk. I see the $5,000+ Alienware Luxary systems which are $5,000 at just the stock non customized settings! They run "Overclocked" at 4GHz.

I have always wanted an Alienware but their prices are insane. I am looking to build a system that can keep up with an Alienware at 4GHz atleast if not more.

That is my goal.. gimme some feed :)

what about a 790i Ultra + 2gb DDR3 kit (some cheap ones on Newegg), Nosboost says these can hit 500FSB, plus you do have a Phase Change Cooler

Transcend Axeram. Hand picked micron d9's 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v......Nasty! Thats what I'm getting after I pick up an x38 board.

What does it matter?

RAM can be clocked to any speed, all you have to do is change Voltage and timmings to allow for the higher speed.

You can buy DDR2 800 and just up voltage and loosen timmings to hit any speed.

True but its better to get ram that you know can run that speed at a certain voltage and timing

Theres no ganruntee even if the manufacturer states so, there are plenty of people with DDR2 800 or higher RAM that have trouble maintaining it at manufactured specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom