Step up or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix219

Baseband Member
Since it would basically be the same amount of money, should I step up my 8800gts 512 to a gx2 or buy another for an sli setup? The one thing that makes me nervous about the step up process is the time it takes to actually get the new card and being without a video card for a long span of time.

If money is no object, get the new card. If you are like most of us you may want to consider a second GTS until Nvidia prices on the GX2 come down considerably. I have two GTS 320mg in Sli and, since I'm not a Crysis fanboy, my system does anything I want at high resolutions. BTW, I don't think any 8800GTS is the same cost as a 9800Gx2...they cost $600.

Newegg.com - MSI NX8800GTS 512M OC GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-N891-AR GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

buy a second and go sli over the gx2.

If money is no object, get the new card. If you are like most of us you may want to consider a second GTS until Nvidia prices on the GTX come down considerably.

Are you referencing the 9800gtx? Because thats not even out yet.

you bought it at launch? i feel like stepping my GTS thanks to the drop in price but im only running it on 1680x1050 res. and yeah, the time span with the wait too...whats avg wait time?!

I bought my gts in january for 350, and now I can either step up to a gx2 for 250 or get another gts for 250, so i'm basically paying the same amount either way. I'm just trying to decide which route is the better one to take.

you basically get the same thing for whatever you do, and you'll probably end up running into the same thing if you setup up to the gx2. if you can wait, wait and see if the gx2 price comes down at all.

Honestly I'm not impressed with the GX2. It's basically putting a heater inside your computer and performs no better than 2 8800GTs for $200 more. Not to mention all the current driver problems. If you have faith in better drivers and have a case that can keep the extra heat away from your SB, go for it. Otherwise the additional performance from SLI is normally not worth the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom