ASUS Unveils Desktop Eee PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asus has competition
Shuttle launches $199 KPC linux box, $99 barebones kit - Engadget
First Look: Shuttle's Bargain KPC | Tom's Hardware

Apparently Asus and Everex aren't the only ones capable of shipping dirt cheap linux boxes these days. Shuttle is getting into the game with its new KPC box. Unfortunately, we're way short on specs, but we do know that it'll be coming in $199 pre-built and $99 barebones versions. At least it's a looker, here's hoping there's something decent under the hood. No word on release date. More pictures after the jump!

I like asus's design more
shuttle-kpc.jpg
kpcblueuploaddante.jpg

I like the Asus design more, too. I would be very tempted to get it once it comes out. I'm planning on hooking my gaming pc up to my TV and just getting a cheap box for web surfing and so forth. The Asus desktop would do very well.

whats the difference between this and just pluggin in an external keyboard, mouse and monitor to a laptop?

I'll tell you what, with a laptop you get the added advantage of portability! hmmm

for $199-$299 you can probably get a used half-decent laptop that's just as capable as this thing, if not better...

Merkwürdigliebe;1340392 said:
whats the difference between this and just pluggin in an external keyboard, mouse and monitor to a laptop?

I'll tell you what, with a laptop you get the added advantage of portability! hmmm

for $199-$299 you can probably get a used half-decent laptop that's just as capable as this thing, if not better...

But this one looks cooler, and is smaller.

I'm guessing it comes pre-installed with linux. (hopefully)
*edit* read the link and found my answer :D

Being very small and portable, as well as the custom linux distro (if you're in to that) is the whole point of the EEE line. Find me one $300 laptop that weighs 2 lbs and you can take literally anywhere. The whole series is designed to be as compact and portable as possible. They obviously didn't make it to be a powerhouse.

Newegg.com - Shuttle KPC K-4500-RS Intel Celeron 430 1.8 GHz Intel GMA 950 512MB DDR2 80GB Black Mini PC - Retail
Looks like that Shuttle is currently available. $229, only slightly more than they were saying originally. Sounds about right, I suppose. You can also customize one on Shuttle's website. Dual Core models start at $299.

I don't see where the criticism is coming from!!

To me its a great idea and its thoroughly unsurprising that the eee concept has been such a success. The only reason people are paying so much for computers is because of the monopoly of Microsoft, ensuring that computers always need to be improving to allow you just to run the ever more bloated OS.

The everyday user had all the power and functionality that they needed 10 years ago, and building a system with a compact, fast, cheap OS saves on hardware costs, while still providing all the functionality that users need.

Good Enough Performance ! FAIL !!
I hate the EEE product line i'll take all the energy I want.

You see thats exactly the mindset which is causing your average user to spend $1500 on a computer when all they need is email and word processing.

What is this here to do? Provide a cheap, easy system to allow users to access all the functionality they need without adding $1000 just because the computer is running Vista.

If you want a high performance machine then don't buy and eee!

Source

Asus' plan to expand the Eee line will see to the release of quite a few products and that includes low-cost desktop PCs. Named E-DT, the upcoming desktop is based on an Intel platform and, in its first versions, will be powered by Celeron processors, followed by Intel dual-core Atoms.

While most of the hardware specs of the E-DT are still unknown, the PCs have now been pictured, and you can see them just below. Two color schemes are available while the design suggests a slim and stylish desktop. The E-DT is expected to debut in Q2 in the April-May timeframe at prices between $200 and $300.

Some additional pictures of this Eee Desktop:
Asus_E-DT_(desktop_PC)_01.jpg

Looks like the Wii's brother. haha...the Eees and the Wiis.

wow, I like the price. :D these should help insure that if someone does not have a computer in their house, they will have one now:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom