Questions before buying norton ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I am thinking about buying norton ghost and creating a image for my present hard drive, which I depend on for everything. The questions I have are:

1) Is it true you need to copy the image to a hard drive of the same size as the drive you are trying to save? I have a 500 G external, and I had initially planned to store both the image and a lot of other stuff as well there.

2) If I wanted to copy the image back to the original hard drive from the external one, would I need some kind of rescue disk? Does norton ghost provide instructions on how to do this?

No that is not true. It will only take the info you have. It does not copy the free space. Acronis does that.

2. Yes and yes.

No that is not true. It will only take the info you have. It does not copy the free space. Acronis does that.

2. Yes and yes.

that's why acronis suck. ghost will even forgive a few hardware change. I still like drive image 7 better. make you a folder called ghost backup. back every thing up there. right click the folder and select properties. check the hidden box. that folder will now disappear until you need to go to it during a restore with a ghost disc

Then I will go ahead and copy an image of my 120G hard drive on the 500G external drive, and I will free to use the remaining space to store back up files, video files, etc.

Also, one little warning. If your current PC should become flawed and you wish to re-image it without using the network, you must have the image file on a bootable USB Flash drive or DVD. Otherwise in most cases Ghost wont see the external HDD when loaded into the Ghost.exe client (in my experience).

Then I will go ahead and copy an image of my 120G hard drive on the 500G external drive, and I will free to use the remaining space to store back up files, video files, etc.

yes. that hide the folder option will stop somebody from accidentally erasing it

Also, one little warning. If your current PC should become flawed and you wish to re-image it without using the network, you must have the image file on a bootable USB Flash drive or DVD. Otherwise in most cases Ghost wont see the external HDD when loaded into the Ghost.exe client (in my experience).

huh? ghost work fine for me. if you have that issue, ghost usually has a usb support option. you are obviously using an older version

yes. that hide the folder option will stop somebody from accidentally erasing it

huh? ghost work fine for me. if you have that issue, ghost usually has a usb support option. you are obviously using an older version

Ghost Solution Suite 2.01? Not exactly an older version. Could you inform me of how to turn on this USB support option? That would become very handy since I do occasionally have to ghost machines without the network and would benefit greatly if I could use an external hard drive. Remember this is when booting from a CD because the network is unavailable. If the network is available I can have the external hard drive hooked up to my Ghost Console machine and I would be fine, but that's not my situation.

I think it's mainly an issue that most USB devices are not enabled that early in the boot sequence, so that once Ghost has loaded up right away the USB connected drive can't be found and it only shows the ghost folder and the local C: drive.

I've never heard of Ghost Solution Suite 2.01. let me boot to my 64 bit side so I can post a picture of ghost with my vm

this is ghost 11 off of the hiren boot cd. every version of ghost that I use works on usb hard drives. that's where I save my images to

Ghostusb.jpg

Ghost Solution Suite is the very latest from Symantec. Can you send me a link to this boot CD iso or instructions?

Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 utilized Ghost client 11.0.1.1537. It has advanced features that allow me to explore and edit images without having to reclone. It even monitors all the computers and shows which ones are connected by using the Ghost Console utility. This utility is where you can set up everything from image tasks, cloning, configurations, etc. It is very advanced and quite handy for when you just want to install one new program or add one update without making a new image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom