how safe is converting fat32 to ntfs?

is this how i do it:
* Click Start
* Click Run.
* Type: CMD
* Press Enter
* At the command prompt, type CONVERT C:/FS:NTFS
* Press Enter

Yes except you need to put a space before the backslash.
C: /FS:NTFS

If it were me, I would back up any important data before doing so. You will get some large cluster sizes but if you have a large enough HDD, you might be able to get away with it.

I'd suggest you get a third party program like Powerquest's Partiton magic.Windows Convert Program leaves much to be desired .

I've never had any problems with the native convert, but regardless if its a 3rd party or not, BACK UP! Hopefully, you should have no problems, but why take the chance.

well, i went ahead and did it (with that space mentioned) and all went well. Now i am wondering if I'll see any noticeable difference in performance.....have ya'll?

Can just adjust the file system like this? Is it safe?
thats mean upgrade already?

tell ya'll right now, since i converted i see where the performance has decreased is during boot up. takes longer to fully restart on boot up and that rather irritates me. sure hope there is a noticeable trade off in performance elsewhere......we'll see.

*EDIT* actually i should expand on this....the slow down during boot up is actually only after the second progress bar (you know which one i'm talking about if you have win2k) and when my desktop finally comes up.

If you did this to try get a performance increase, I could have saved you some time by telling you in my own experience of running W2K - I never once noticed an overall performance increase in running it on a NTFS partition vs. FAT32.

The slow boot up might be (i say might be) due to the fact that you have an extremely large cluster size with the FS conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom