HD boots every sec: suspect OS patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerslaveowned

Solid State Member
I recently installed XP Pro into a new HD (Hitachi) and i think it was about the point i installed this patch that I was recommended to do if you got the RCP error due to a virus attack, I found the patch from reading threads in this forum and I think its making my HD boot every second for eternity on or offline and often makes noises every 10 mins and I dont want my HD to boot forever if it doesnt have to!

Does anyone know why my HD might be booting every 1 second constantly?
Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Killing any of the tasks doesnt help so maybe its part of the system process that i cant kill.

Thanks

Wait...go back...

What patch? From who?

Second, what do you mean your HD is booting constantly? Is this a secondary drive, or your primary (though I don't see how you can be killing tasks if it's rebooting every second).

And, not to get too moronic, but...describe the sound it's making.

The Patch is called WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-ENU and i read on this forum i should install it to stop WIndows XP from shutting itself down when on the net.....maybe i should of just tried clicking on firewall first, but I think it may be causing the problem....

THe HD red light flickers every 1 second id say exactly like a heartbeat and never stops, doesnt do much booting each time it does, every now n then say once every 20 seconds does a bit more than flicker, it boots sumthing more, once every 10 minutes or so it makes this kinda of up and down kind of booting sound like a motorbike accelerating then changing gears for the 2nd or 3rd sound....

THis is my Master drive, I have a slave which is windows 98 fat32 the master is NTFS, thought that might be it at first and disconnected it and it changed nothing, it was only later i was trying to think of when i installed the patch exactly...and could of been at that time as well..originally i had 2 HD's running WIn XP and didnt notice it at all but soon switched the drive setup over , so it could be the cause as well , I dont know...i cant remember exactly what i did that caused it....hmmmm

Wot do ya rekon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom