Weird Windows problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

err___Dangit

Beta member
My friend has a refurb. Dell XPS 410 that came with Media Center. He got an MBox 2( for making music) but it isn't compatible with media center. I'm trying to put XP pro on his PC but it won't take it. We wiped the HDD with Killdisk but it still won't work. The strange thing is, it'll accept the Media Center disk without any problems, but it won't take Pro or Home. It comes up with the Blue Screen saying his disk may be corrupt. I ran Check Disk on it and numerous virus scans and all those came up just fine. The HDD is a Western Digital Raptor(if that makes a difference). Dell's tech support has been no help at all. They just tell me that they can't help me down grade or upgrade a product that is still under warranty. If anyone has any ideas about this, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.
Kevin.

MCE is jsut XP PRo with the Media Center part added in. So i dont see why it the applicaton wouldnt work on it. Are you sure the app can work on XP? That would be my first thing to check as MCE registers itself as Pro. Redundant aint it.

Now for you isntall issues...does the disc you are using have SP2? Have you tried to incluse things like for the SATA Drives and have you tried to update the BIOS and all that?

Guess there was a reason why the machine was returned after all. Beign a refurb and all. Guess there is still something wrong with it...

He called DigiDesign Tech support and they said it would work with Pro but not Media Center. It didn't make much sense to me either. The disk I'm using does have SP2 on it and I'm going to try the SATA drivers and what not tomorrow. I figured since it had Media Center on it, the BIOS would be alright with Pro. I'll see if I can't find the update for them. Thanks for your help.

This is John, a support analyst at Dell headquarters.

I would guess that the reason your other disks are bluescreening is that specific SATA drivers are slip streamed into the installation media provided by Dell. Other versions of XP may require a floppy with the SATA/RAID drivers be introduced during installation by hitting F6 at the beginning of the installation.

Also, the other commenters are correct: Media Center is essentially XP Pro with a Media Center interface included, along with other device drivers for common media computer devices (IR Remote, etc.). There really isn't any reason I can think of a piece of software compatible with XP Pro wouldn't also operate on Media Center.

John
Dell Customer Advocate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom