My computer is slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent him a PM.

The easiest way to send a member a PM is to right (or middle) click their user name, then choose to send them a PM through their profile. You can also go to your UserCP and choose Send New Message on the left and type or paste their name in.

The easiest way to send a member a PM is to right (or middle) click their user name, then choose to send them a PM through their profile. You can also go to your UserCP and choose Send New Message on the left and type or paste their name in.

the click on a member's name to view profile/send PM hasn't worked for me for a while :|
always have to send one thru user CP

using FF btw

WasTech said:
What do you think I'll gain with that one? Is it fast enough? How old is it? The price is right.
Going from 32-bit to 64-bit processing is a pretty big difference. I know it was to me. I went from the 2000+ to a 3200+ s939, and it was like night and day.

You can always keep your eyes open for an upgrade. I snagged my 4200 X2 through a trade here on Tech-Forums- a 7800GTX even. Considering I gave 200 for my current GFX card, and swapped my old GFX for the CPU, it was like getting the CPU for free.

Fat.clown said:
the click on a member's name to view profile/send PM hasn't worked for me for a while :|
always have to send one thru user CP

using FF btw
I middle-click the name to open the profile in a new tab. From there I can PM them. I also use Firefox.

Yeh, PM isn't working by clicking name. I got his PM and sent a reply.

What about what I asked about the Cleaner above. Not sure if I should check all boxes since I got a warning.

Thanks, Trotter

Yes it is fine to click everything, they give you a warning because them files will remove custom ordering of the start menu and explorer view settings, also clears the start menu "recently used list"

Also if you dont want to use O&O defrag you can use the windows defrag, but OO will organize your computer a bit better than just the normal windows defrager.

I use O&O and it defently helps. As you said your drive is old so you will notice the performance gain.

Don't worry about the Advanced options, as the main ones will be plenty.

As Redmoon said, you get a warning because it will be deleting files. this is precautionary, nothing to worry about.

Trotter,

Ok I ran it advanced. I talked with him about CPU. I'll let you kow how it goes.

Hey guys,

My computer is just not cutting it any more. It's a AMD Athlon XP 3200 with a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe - 1GB DDR2 RAM - Antec True 550W PS - Maxtor 250 GB HD - Liteon DVD-RW - Floppy - PCI ATA 133 cont - MSI NVidia 8mb AGP graph card. The old Creat SB live SC - OS is XP Pro. I think my biggest drain on my system is Mcafee suite free with cable sub. especially FW. My problem is startup takes at least 5 min til I can do anything and when I have a website up and maybe Winamp on if I go into my folders I get an hour glass for around 15 or more seconds and If I view a pic in XP the viewer delays with hour glass for 30 or more seconds. It also locks up some times and has restarted a few times to. Which had me thinking PS but Antec is a good PS so not sure about that but it is getting old. I think I bought it in 2002.

I want to upgrade the MB and cpu. I don't think I need any more RAM I'm only surfing for the most part on this comp. Of course I know you can always use more RAM. I know this limits me but I want to keep my AGP graph card. It works great so I'm not junking it. I want to stay with AMD and I want Dual-Core. I don't really want to spend more than $160.00 with shipping. If you have another reason why my comp is slow I'd like to hear it.

Your main reason why your computer slow is probably due to the excess programs on your computer. Your Anti-Virus software takes a huge portion of it away especially Mcafee a.k.a. "worst hogging resource software ever!" I would ditch that and get AVG Free AVG Free Advisor - AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition This in my opinion is the best anti-virus protection ever and doesn't hog resources. As well try clearing some running programs and clear som junk in your computer, I reccomend ccleaner CCleaner - Download Everything here is free and you can save your $160.00. It's not the physical aspect to your computer, most likely

Your main reason why your computer slow is probably due to the excess programs on your computer. Your Anti-Virus software takes a huge portion of it away especially Mcafee a.k.a. "worst hogging resource software ever!" I would ditch that and get AVG Free AVG Free Advisor - AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition This in my opinion is the best anti-virus protection ever and doesn't hog resources. As well try clearing some running programs and clear som junk in your computer, I reccomend ccleaner CCleaner - Download Everything here is free and you can save your $160.00. It's not the physical aspect to your computer, most likely

Sorry to tell you but if you read the second page i already suggested all that, ccleaner, avg and uninstall mcafee +defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom