Are DOA mobos really that common?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to pick out a mobo and after researching on newegg, it seems most every brand has its fair share of DOA reviews.

This is the one I'm leaning towards.Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail

This will be my first build and I'd hate to have defective parts ruin and frustrate the experience.

You actually have a pretty small chance of getting a bad board or other component. I have been building systems for a few years and so far I have been lucky, I have only gotten one bad hard drive and I got a defective USB joystick once. I agree, Ignore the vendor reviews. Some people base their entire build on just those reviews, or form an opinion based on the few bad reviews, but fail to realize that thousands of the part in question has been sold and used with no issues.

As we all know, people usually don't post about a product until something goes wrong. You rarely hear about the good things.

The important thing is never touching the contacts whether on memory or any expansion card be video, sound, capture, tuner type as well as the pins on a cpu. One little zap and you have something to serve up in the toaster oven for breakfast.

I found wrist straps for non powered components to be unnecessary when using common sense as far as handling was concerned. As for video and sound cards I can walk around all day and simply grab the frame of the case right before placing them down in a slot.

For first time builders the rule of playing it smart and learning the basics of esd precautions is strongly advised there. Otherwise some newbie is likely to grab different hardwares/devices by the contact edge or bending cpu pins.

yeah i got a good one.

FIRST purchace i EVER made from the egg i got a DOA board

but the hdd, ram, dvd burner, psu, and mouse worked perfectly, until i gave the ram away, sold the dvd burner, threw my mouse, and sold the rest of the pc to a friend (well mobo, psu, and one stick of 512, sold the 256 and gave the other 512 to my friend so he could give it to his grandma for xmas)

Both from the same vendor I guess. :p The first Asus M2N-E on the build here was ordered from newegg and quit in the first few days. The second after rmaing that is still running strong.

Now talk about "old" systems how about a notebook some 26yrs. old at the present time. Try going through 100 of those to strip many down and restore others to almost brand new condition. Even when that was done they already belonged in a pc museum. :p

Meet the Epson HX-20 namely the first portable ever sold.

epsonhx20systems1eu9.jpg

I had everything for it along with the original programming books, vinyl carrying cases, add on ram modules, even original software tapes on 30min. microcassettes. They used rechargable C type batteries in them in a yellow plastic wrap with a two wire plug that looked almost like what you would see on a case fan these days.

Some company dumped a ton of them on a school and no one would do anything with them. By that time the I486s and Windows 3.1 were a common desktop item and no one knew what a notebook even was.

I almost bought one new for something like $379.95 when first seeing them back in 1982! A decade later I was asked to refurbish a mountain of them? talk about coincidences as well as irony! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom