DVI question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celticsfan

Banned
how much clearer would mine be if I used a DVI video card with DVI cable compared to VGA. Is there that much of an improvement? Or is it only marginally better. Keep in mind I am not a gamer and will only watch movies on my PC on occasions.

I am wondering if I should spend the extra $30 if it's really that big of a difference.

Please let me know what you think.

thanks

When going to replace an old lcd here the new wide screen model came with both vga and DVI cables for HD application. If your monitor lacks DVI input you would spending for nothing since a newer model bought later would likely see that anyways.

$30 is a little high depending on where you shop as well. You can find them for under $20 depending on brand and quality. Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

When going to replace an old lcd here the new wide screen model came with both vga and DVI cables for HD application. If your monitor lacks DVI input you would spending for nothing since a newer model bought later would likely see that anyways.

$30 is a little high depending on where you shop as well. You can find them for under $20 depending on brand and quality. Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

I have the cable. I am talking about a DVI VIDEO card.

well then you are just talking about the newer preferred interface of the gpu cards these days

it's just better in terms of CONVERSION....vga is analog and dvi is digital

the theory in all this electronics or computing stuff is that, the less conversion steps you go through, the better the product in the end, audio or video

the difference will be very minimal, in that nobody will notice anything when the image is moving...and you might be able to tell if you are looking at static imagery, like wallpaper, icons, etc...the difference can be scrutinized, but not when it's in motion and your eyes are 1-2 ft away from the screen

you can do a search on this and the more basic answer I would think is clearer...I'll attempt to explain is:

VGA is good for tubes or CRTs
DVI is good for tfts or lcds

I'll explain again if anybody needs ;)

but as for your query, if you have a dvi video card and have an lcd...go for it, best match.

You will that just about all ATI and NVidia models seen at this time simply toss a DVI to VGA adapter in along with the card for use on older monitors. The mid to high end models usually see two DVI output jacks like seen on the MSI model in the image here with a primary and secondary output for dual monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom