"The current user account is not recognized" pop-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyberTiger

Solid State Member
I have Windows XP with SP2.

There have been a few discussions concerning the pop-up window that says "The current user account is not recognized. Restart the computer and then open User Accounts."

My situation is a little different from the posts I've read. My computer is setup with two accounts. My account has administrator privileges and is password protected. My girlfriends account does not have admin privileges nor is her account password protected.

I recently changed my password on my account using Control Panel > User Accounts. However, I now note that when attempting to go back into Control Panel > User Accounts I get a pop-up window that says "The current user account is not recognized. Restart the computer and then open User Accounts." Of course, I restart the computer and try again but end up with the same pop-up window. Keep in mind, when the computer restarts I have to click on my user account icon then enter my new password to logon to my account. The logon process works without a glitch.

The odd things is this. If I restart my computer then use <F-8> to put it in safe mode I am able to use the Control Panel > User Account to remove the password. Then I restart the computer again and in normal mode I go to Control Panel > User Account and edit my user settings for my account. Here I "add" a password. I set it to the password that I originally used prior to my problem created by changing the password.

Guess what? When I restart the computer in normal mode. Logon to my account with my original password then go to Control Panel > User Account I don't have a problem with that pop-up window. For some reason changing the password to something other than the original password creates some sort of synchronization problem for the OS where it appears that one part of the OS thinks my password is the old original password and another part of the OS thinks my password is the new password.

Anyone ever hear of this problem and know the solution?

It sounds as if the new profile does not have Admin privledges. You can also check under the Group Policies.

Start>Run>gpedit.msc

Something in there might have changed and not it doesnt allow you full access.

Sorry, forgot to specify I have Windows XP HOME EDITION not Professional. Apparently, the group policy editor is only available on the PRO version of Windows XP.

Any other suggestions?

Check in Safe Mode if you have all Admin privileges as there is hidden Admin account that only shows up for Safe Mode. That will be your only option from here using XP Home.

Yup, it was actually the SafeMode Admin account I used to remove the password from my account. From there, I restarted the computer in normal mode then I was able to get into User Accounts and add a password back to my account. When I added a new password I put it back to the same password I used when I originally set up a password for the first time. Apparently, once you have set up a password for the first time you are stuck with it until you reformat the drive and reinstalled Windows XP.

Attempting to change the password down the road will result in you not being able to get into User Accounts.

That is not true. I have changed mine several times. But i have done it from within the account that i am using. I would suggest you change the password for the account you want to change from within that account and test it out. It should work then.

Yes, that is exactly where I change it...That is, while logged onto my account I go to Control Panel > User Accounts and change the password. However, after I change it, logout, logon, then go to User Accounts I get the pop-up saying "The current user account is not recognized". Only way to fix it is to do delete the password as Admin in SafeMode.

I guess I give up. Looks like I'm the only one who has every had this specific problem.

Sorry i thought you said you changed the password via the Admin account in Safe Mode. I did no realize you had changed it via the account itself.

Have you tried changing it from the Safe Mode Admin account? Does it take then? It seems to work when you revert the password back.

I hadn't tried that until you suggested it. Unfortunately, it didn't work either. What is really strange to me is that everyone else seems to be able to change the password without any negative effect on USER ACCOUNTS. The complaint you usually hear about is when they reboot the computer and their logon icon is missing...something I have never experienced.

So it is just your account then? Have you scanned for viruses and all that? Just to make sure there isn't spyware or anything that is adversely affecting your control of the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom