My computer is slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok instead of worrying about new parts why not speed up what you have.

Download Ccleaner- Download CCleaner 2.05.555 - filehippo.com

Tick every box in both the little tabs and run the cleaner.

Now, after that is done, go to the registry cleaner tab and run a registry clean. It will ask you to make a backup which you can if you want, i usually don't. Click fix all and then it will clean your registry.

Then download O&O Defrag Trial - Download O&O Defrag Professional Edition 10 Free Trial - Defragmentation tool for Win 2000/XP/Vista

Run a 'Stealth' defrag on all the drives you have (inside the program it has a help function if your stuck)

Finally disable everything that starts up from your computer but your anti - virus.

Start > Run > Msconfig > Startup Tab > Disable everything but your Anti-virus.

Also you may want to consider uninstalling Mcaffe - |MG| Mcafee UnInstaller 6.5

And instead of that get AVG Free, an excellent virus program. - Download AVG Free Edition 7.5.519 - filehippo.com

Hope this helps

Cleaning it up will help, but at the end of the day it is still gonna be a socket A 3200.

Redmoon and others

Thanks for the Utilities. So far I ran the Cleaner but when I went to check the boxes Advanced boxes I got a warning and wasn't sure I should do it. It cleaned some things I do on my own. I always clear TIF and Cooks I also never let anything run in startup that I don't need on except for things like MSN mess and Quicktime which always come back on PITA. I also did Reg clean. Now that I usually don't mess with. Although I have removed some files from there when I uninstall something.

How safe is this Defragger? My Maxtor 250GB 7200 RPM is getting older everyday I don't want to put any strain on it.

Trotter thanks for the info and links. Is that the fastest cpu for socket 939?

O&O? I use it, and I have it on my wife's rig... a AMD XP 2000+. It is safe. And it is worth the price if you decide to keep it. It will defrag in the background and you never know it is there. Once your drive is defragged there will be less strain on it since everything will be where it belongs.

If you go The clean-up route, be sure to do some serious scanning. Grab Spybot and Ad Aware and use them to make sure nothing it sucking up your CPU cycles.

If you stay with your current setup, you may want to consider adding another stick of 1 gig to your RAM. 2 gig is the perfect sweet spot, and DDR ain't gonna get any cheaper I'm afraid. Other than that you can run what you have... even though the CPU and board I suggested will blow your socks off.

I havn't restarted yet to check speed but I think I'm going to have to buy the MB and CPU. If I don't now my good parts will be obsolete. This 939 MB probably won't be sold too much longer. Except ebay and I'd rather not buy MB's on there.

Whats a good price on my RAM now and whats the fastest I can run? It's 3500 now.

The mobo states DDR 400, but it can run any DDR (will just underclock it to 400). If you're not worried about overclocking, you can grab some value RAM at a decent price. Newegg has a stick of G.Skill Value for $34.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail

or a stick of G.Skill 2.5 latency for $39.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail

The same 2.5 RAM is $80 for a matched set, but it is normally $120.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

There used to be DDR rated a lot faster than 400, but it's pretty much gone now.

You're right. That's what I get for trusting the results of Amazon's search. All the 939s on there are way expensive or not available, Sorry.

On a brighter note, though. A member has a 3500+ (single core) for sale, $20 shipped. Shoot me a PM and I'll forward it to him if you are interested.

What do you think I'll gain with that one? Is it fast enough? How old is it? The price is right.

I tried to PM you it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom