Linux vs. Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZmasterZ

Solid State Member
Hey, ive been a Microsoft Windows user all my life (well 16 years). Now I switched over to Linux. ... And I have to say Linux is much better! Its free, and theres No such thing as a VIRUS. Every program is opensource, but not very user friendly. You can download Linux free at linuxiso.org . Theres also a bunch of operating systems (of linux) to choose from! I prefer College Linux and Fedora Project. Those are my two favorite Linux Operating systems. What do you guys think? LINUX or WINDOWS?

I use redhat 9, but It's very difficult to find drivers for, and installing software is still confusing to me. But, I like the fact that's it's free and it does support alot of drivers natively. Another dislike I have is the fact that I can't play streaming music or video...

Try Fedora Project. Redhat 9 is really outdated. They made alot of updates to the new Fedora Project Core 2. Try it out

ZmasterZ said:
And I have to say Linux is much better! Its free, and theres No such thing as a VIRUS.

wait till linux goes mainstream and this wont be true for long

Well its the fact that Linux is as popular as Windows. Think of it this way, if you were going to be making a virus would you want it to go to Linux users or Windows users? There are more Windows users so generally someone trying to disrupt computer usage and networks are going to go for Windows since its the big one. The same idea goes with Apple. No one wants to send a virus to Apple, cuse no ones gonna care... its not gonna matter as much. I think until these OSes become as popular as Microsoft, they aren't going to get many Viruses targeted at them.

I use SUSE Linux for servers and WinXP for Desktop....

Well still Windows is best for desktop usage and Linux for Servers....

The reason Linux doesnt get infect with viruses is because of the permissions like root and such. No one logs into Root, and without root access you cant hurt anything :)

I have SuSE 9.1 pro...it hasnt been really that great to me :( . Maybe I will download one of the other ones and give it a try...

Since I am a gamer, I use Windows. The reason virus writers target Windows is because not only do most people use it, but all of the computer dumb people use it too. They won't know how to handle things such as a virus. One day if I ever get broadband, I will give Linux a try.

i heard that linux is a more stable n secure OS compare to Window, unfortunately cant run games on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom