USB compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

In Runtime
So I have some storage drives which, when plugged into an old laptop, prompt a search for a driver (which I don't have).

Does this mean they're not compatible?

The laptop probably requires USB 1.0- but I thought you could still use USB 2.0 devices with them.

OK here's the problem- it's compatible, but it won't work without drivers- and drivers didn't come with the device.

What I did was I sold my big bulky PC and got an old laptop- all I needed- with Windows 98SE.

When I stick in either my flash drive or my ext. hard drive, it recognizes it in device manager but no new letter directory ("G", "F", etc.) is created in Windows Explorer.

The flash and the small hard drive come without any drivers. My 160 GB ext. hard drive does, however, so I loaded the drivers for that but it still didn't work.

So what I need is a program that enables Win 98 to recognize newer USB drives. (It already recognizes them- but why can't I access the data?)

Jake

So anyway-

I tried installing these drivers:

Windows 98SE USB Mass Storage Device Drivers

but they were useless- "not a valid Win32 app".

I tried removing all the USB devices from device manager, but then when I tried booting with the flash or drive plugged in, it refused to load anything- it booted, but ended up with a blank screen.

This is the only computer I have now, and it's useless without my external hard drive, so any assistance would be much appreciated.

Jake

is it recognized in the Disk Manager?
Sometimes these things come preloaded with a drive letter on them that you already have assigned to drive on your PC. So you go into disk management and give it a new letter. then it shows up when you open my computer.

I figured it out- it was a driver problem. XP doesn't need USB drivers; Win 98 does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom