9800GX2 at the Egg

Status
Not open for further replies.
600 dollars!!! lol!

You can get 2 g92 8800gts cards for almost 200 dollars cheaper, AND have 8 more ROPs...AND be much cooler running.

Well, it depends on your situation, if you don't have an SLI mobo, then this might save you some money/headache of having to replace your mobo - and you get the added bonus of not having to deal with Nvidia's chipset either, plus the option of quad-sli if you do happen to have an SLI mobo (and the money)

Plus they have a much better resell value than two 8800GTS

If they go on sale within about a month I might just jump on one. We'll see what happens with the 4xxx series

Well, it depends on your situation, if you don't have an SLI mobo, then this might save you some money/headache of having to replace your mobo - and you get the added bonus of not having to deal with Nvidia's chipset either, plus the option of quad-sli if you do happen to have an SLI mobo (and the money)

Plus they have a much better resell value than two 8800GTS

If they go on sale within about a month I might just jump on one. We'll see what happens with the 4xxx series

But you can almost buy 2 3870x2s for that price :p

But you can almost buy 2 3870x2s for that price :p

If I were a sales person for Nvidia I would be embarassed! OMG! I just scored 16306 on 3DMark06 wiht two 8800gts's (320mb) in Sli that cost me a total of $360 for both! The Q6700 was running at 3.15 ghz and the 8800gts's were oc'd to 650/950. The point would be? ATI is about to do some serious Nvidia butt kicking. LOL $600! And the Evga 9800gtx card has 1 gig which is a joke given it remians 256 bit. So if money isn't an object you can start your build with two of these in sli for a modest $1300 (tax and shipping) just for the videao cards! It's like having a chicken bone stuck in my throat......I'm choking here!! Sheesh!!! Opps...they are 512bit. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................maybe I spoke too soon. Nah, price is way the **** too high!!!!

GeForce 9800 GX2 Performance Preview

Conclusion

Thanks to its dual GPU architecture and high clock speeds, the GeForce 9800 GX2 is indeed the fastest single graphics card NVIDIA has ever created. Gamers looking for the ultimate in 3D performance, look no further, as the GeForce 9800 GX2 is as fast as one card gets right now: the card ran over 1.5X faster than the GeForce 8800 GTX/Ultra in most cases. At the same time however, due to the GeForce 9800 GX2's $600+ MSRP, buying two GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB cards and connecting them together for SLI is still technically the more cost effective upgrade: street prices on bone stock GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB cards generally start around $250 and go up from there.

Not everyone has an SLI motherboard though. Many enthusiasts are gaming happily away on non-SLI compatible chipsets from Intel, like the X38/X48, and P35 Bearlake chipsets, or Socket 939 users who are still happy with their nForce4 Ultra motherboards.

For these types of users, the GeForce 9800 GX2 is a very attractive high-end upgrade. It gives them the performance benefits of SLI, without having to consume two PCI Express graphics slots, which is the primary drawback of SLI.

For the gamer looking to upgrade to quad GPUs, the GeForce 9800 GX2 is a no-brainer. After all, as we just demonstrated with our overclocking results, with a little bit of OC'ing, the GeForce 9800 GX2 can be clocked to run faster than the GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB SLI setup. We are still curious to see how three GeForce 9800 GTX cards combined together for 3-Way SLI performs though.

This is the beauty of NVIDIA's current 3D graphics lineup. Whether you want one inexpensive card, one really high-end card, or perhaps you want two, three, or four GPUs, NVIDIA's got you covered. Sure, AMD supports this feature as well, but as we all know NVIDIA's GPUs are performing better than AMD's in DirectX 10 apps right now.

Which path you take is going to come down to your needs and budget. Penny pinchers will probably want to stick with the 9600 GT, 8800 GT, or at most the 8800 GTS 512MB and upgrade to 2-Way SLI as their needs and budget warrants it, while gamers who can afford it may want to opt for the 9800 GTX or 9800 GX2.

One thing is for sure, the next time I upgrade in a couple of years I will buy the equivalent of a high end video card throw for the mainstream price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom