having a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelrudnick

Beta member
hi, i have an ASUS a7n8x motherboard which connects to a western digital caviar 120 hard drive. Sometimes the hard drive isnt recognized. When I turn on the computer and "detecting IDE drives..." is listed on the screen during the boot up, nothing happens because the hard drive isnt being detected. That also sometimes happens while Im using windows XP, and suddenly the computer freezes and a blue screen comes up "unknown hard error. beginning physical dump"... but here's the thing, whenever something like that happens, i open the case and physically push the cable into the hard drive and then everything runs smoothly again. But when I stop pushing in the cable, often times the problem comes back very soon. I dont know why. When I connect the cable to the hard drive I always make sure to push the cable in as much as possible but for some reason this problem still happens. Here's what troubleshooting i have done:
I replaced the cable and had the same issue so i dont think its the cable. I tested out the harddrive using a western digital diagnostic program and it came back error-free. I also tested out the memory and that was error-free. I dont know how to test out the motherboard.... Anyone have any idea how to solve this?? I hope i posted in the right forum, any reply would be great. thanks.

did u also try changing the harddrives power cord, example- switch the power cords for the CD-rom and harddrive.

jolancer, you are not a man, you are a god, and if anyone says different just refer them to me.

I switched the power cord and for the last three days no problems at all. Guess it was a faulty power cord. Thanks again jolancer, this problem has been plaguing me for weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom