hasta la VISTA..baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nu2duo

In Runtime
I'm through with Vista. Too many bsd...massive memory hog(1.3gb numerous times) and overall, absolutely no significant improvement over XP, from what I experienced.
I originally liked the new look. But that was it. So for over the last 7 or 8 months, Vista was my OS..but not anymore. Welcome back XP. I reinstalled it on sunday and also reinstalled basically most of the programs that were on Vista. Memory stays around 500mb.

Let's face it guys, Vista DID NOT live up to it's expectations.

BTW, prior to Vista, I was using XP and no bsd. So I know it wasn't a hardware issue or my oc. Whatever, XP works...period!

Vista does work when you get the correct drivers on. I've been running XP along with Vista since it first came out and have it as the default version at the present time.

Without all of the Aero "eye candy" that I had no use for to start with running yet having a good number of startups running I see about 677mb total on a system with 2gb of memory installed. Games still run the same here on Vista with fewer crashes and no system locks if one decides to crash.

Vista does work when you get the correct drivers on. I've been running XP along with Vista since it first came out and have it as the default version at the present time.

Without all of the Aero "eye candy" that I had no use for to start with running yet having a good number of startups running I see about 677mb total on a system with 2gb of memory installed. Games still run the same here on Vista with fewer crashes and no system locks if one decides to crash.

Again, what real significant improvement do you see over XP? Obviously not much since XP still resides on one of your partitions. Cmon, you and I know that the average joe isn't going to see major improvements with Vista other than the 'eye candy'. Also, most of us here on TF know how to tweak, find those correct drivers that you mentioned, and blah blah blah, and so Vista may work.
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Vista. It's just that Vista isn't going to change the world.

BTW, wth is up with these Vista sp1 issues? You'd think by now they'd get the sp1 out and truly ready for prime time.
I guarantee you that when the next version of Windows comes out, Vista will be in the same club as Windows ME.
Check out tomshardware XP vs Vista benchmarks if you don't understand what I mean.
Windows XP vs. Vista: The Benchmark Rundown | Tom's Hardware

I've been running Vista since it's first beta version was released. XP well on the last build two editions of XP along with Vista were configured into a multiboot on separate drives.

XP is retained as the second OS since I still need that for programs that are not compatible with a newer version. Likewise I was running 98SE with XP on older builds for that reason. Nothing new there.

Grievances? There are a few things with each version that can be an annoyance like the no longer seen add/remove Windows components section seen since 98-XP but not Vista!

People complain about Vista being a memory hog but forget to compare XP to older versions like 16mb for 98 while 128mb for XP? Those of course were the recommended minimum since some manage with only 64mb.

Themes anyone? I still use the Classic on XP and Vista alike there. Better drive tools in the Disk Management is a plus while still lacking compared to a drive tool like GParted however. The one annoyance seen lately is the reset of the power options where every first startup sees the turn display off in 22min. while the power plans are set to never.

Well that is your opinion. I run Vista and have very little issue running it. I run it on a Dell Dimension 8400. Not a new machine by far yet it seems to work just fine for me.

You complain of BSOD's yet have you ever tried to fix what was wrong? SP1 is supposed to hit today and yet you didnt even see if that would help.

So whatever. It is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But it is by far as bad as you say. For every 1 person that goes back to XP i know at least 2-3 more that are going to Vista from XP.

Here I've been finding far fewer problems overall even with custom installations between different drives once everything is back on. XP saw far more hangups even with SP2 then what I've been seeing with Vista so far.

I have to agree on debugging things there to clean up the actual problems rather then saying the version is no good. This is why I referred to seeing the correct drivers on for hardwares since I ran through some headaches on the current build due to 3rd party sources for hardwares like ?

Now subtract the 512mb minimum from 700mb being used there to see... gee all of 188mb for 5 FF windows and WMP?! with the sig there showing 2gb of memory installed. I see more used with ITunes 7.6 running with two IE windows open.

What can i say?

Get Firefox - Download the new firefox web browser

Also i have tweaked vista to my likings. When i say tweaked i mean disabled UAC and other rubbish, only have 2 startup processes and only installed about 2 months ago.

Really Vista isn't that bad, but, it the fact that you have to do things like disabling and tweaking just to get it to near XP, i think if i get a new os it will be XP

That in mind i do like vista and have no problems with it. And i like defending it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom