No Blu-ray for the Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
No Blu-ray for the Xbox - Consumer Electronics - CRN Australia
No Blu-ray for the Xbox

Microsoft has said it will not be developing a Blu-ray add on for the Xbox 360, and will be concentrating exclusively on digital downloads for content distribution.

Until recently Microsoft had been UK technology, news, reviews and downloads - vnunet.com for the gaming console and after Toshiba UK technology, news, reviews and downloads - vnunet.com on the technology analysts and industry watchers had expected a Blu-ray equivalent.

But in an interview with Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Xbox 360, denied there were any plans to do so and said the company was betting on downloads as the way forward in media distribution.

"Xbox is not currently in talks with Sony or the Blu-ray Association to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience," he said.

"We're the only console offering digital distribution of entertainment content," Greenberg said. He added that Microsoft would be sticking to this model, even for downloading high-definition content.

Overall he expected worse Xbox sales than the competition for February because of lack of stock, but promised that production was now ramping up.

"We definitely expect we will trail in February as a result of our supply constraints," Greenberg said.

"By April, we will be in a very healthy inventory situation."

This will come in time for the release of the eagerly awaited Grand Theft Auto 4 game. Although the game will be available for both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 the version for Microsoft's console will feature exclusive content.

I used to be worried, but I sold my Xbox 360. I'm done with console gaming.

I dont give a crap. I bought my xbox to play games, not to play some movie. If i wanted to play blu-ray movies, trust me, i would of bought a blue ray player.

nah games need a new format. Especially with such a high demand for high definition gaming (1080p) and better audio. Look at a game like lost odyssey, 4 disc's and it barely had 30hrs of playing time. they couldnt fit in much in the way of voice overs and had to rely a lot on caption. The load times were also pretty terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom