First Boot for New PC = No Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroplane22

Baseband Member
So I just finished assembling my new PC and have everything set to go. The computer starts up, does the quick system check and immediately tries to boot the HDD. This is where the problem comes up.

1. The memory test checks out.
2. The HDD is detected with the proper data. (Size, Name, SATA, Stats.. etc.)
3. As soon as it tries to boot.. it says

Did not find any drive ....
PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

Well the only system disk I have is a windows install disc and the CD that came with my motherboard, neither seem to work in either CD drive I use.

I have tried four jumper settings including no jumper, to no avail.
(All vertical jumper position, I can't imagine it should be positioned horizontal?)

Samsung, SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200RPM, SATA 3.0gb/sec

XCLIO Windtunnel, Full Tower Case:(
ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
PC Power & Cooling, Single 12v Rail, 750W PS
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.06ghz, 65W Dual-Core
Crucial Ballistix 4 x 1gb DDR2 800, PC2 6400
EVGA 8800GT 512MB
SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme FaTaLiTy Edition

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

SATA does not use jumper positions like IDE. You'll have to configure the boot device in BIOS, so it boots off of CD first, rather than trying to boot off of the HDD.

Yeah, I started without the jumper but tried it for giggles.

I've also tried switching boot priority to the CD Drive first and have tried both Windows and MOBO CD. I even tried disabling the HDD in the boot priority list. Still no luck. Everything seems to check out fine, it correctly detects everything except it just keeps saying INSERT SYSTEM DISK. Can't start windows format or anything.. at a loss here..

basically its trying to find your operating system on your hdd, but you haven't installed it. Like carnageX said it has to boot from the CD the first time so you have to change this in the BIOS.

EDIT: sorry, posted when u were posting.

Hm, now I'm not so sure my DVD drives are getting detected.
It's the same setup as my previous PC. SATA HDD and 2 DVD Drives connected via a "master/slave" Ribbon...

In BIOS I can't see anything suggesting that it has detected either.

Is the optical drive recognized in BIOS? Try another optical drive maybe?

Edit: Posted while you were posting, heh.

Make sure the master/slave is right on the optical drive. Try a different ribbon cable; make sure power is plugged into the CD rom drives (I've done this before myself, so I'm throwing it out there, heh).

Well, my problem is solved, I decided to check the Jumper settings on the DVD drives and they were both set to Master. Which is what they were in my other PC, however they worked fine as Master/Master. Well now its set Master/Slave and it detects both and into Windows I go.

Thanks for the help. :laughing:

Lol, and yes I did check the power, but remembered as I was checking the cables that I had opened both DVD drives.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom