Upgrade on system

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmolson

Solid State Member
Hey guys I would like to spruce up the old computer a bit. What would you recommend I change/add?

Current System:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13ghz @ 3.6ghz with scythe ninja
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
2 x 1GB Team xteem DDR2 800
2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800
2 x ATI x1950 pro 256mb Crossfire
1 x 150Gb WD Raptor
2 x 500GB WD SATA
2 x 320Gb Seagate
1 x 300Gb unknown
1 x DVD Burner
550 Watt Psu

I find crossfire is utterly useless, especially since it is unsupported in linux. I found it barely made any difference in windows, and in some games made it slower. So I was thinking maybe upgrade the old video card to a 8800, or perhaps wait until the 9800 come out.

I was also contemplating getting a quad core q6600 and sell my dual core.

Another crazy idea that popped into my head was get 8gb ram.

Is water cooling even worthwhile thinking about for my system? I have an Antec P180 case and it has excellent cooling. Water cooling would end up being more of a hobby type thing rather than a useful addition I assume.

Lastly I was thinking I should get an actual soundcard, right now I am using the onboard HD audio. I have a set of logitech 5.1 speakers, but I could also hookup my surround sound system via coax, or optical.

Thanks for your suggestions!

First of all how much are you wanting to spend?

Def upgrade the graphics card

You could also get a quad processor

8GB of RAM is generally underutilized by the average user

What do you use this for mostly? Gaming, photo/video editing, general use?

Sounds like a plan, regarding the video card and cpu.

I use my computer for gaming, as a media center (playback of HD videos). I played crysis on this machine, but I had to set most settings to low. I do some light programming in C. I convert videos sometimes from xvid to DVD as well.

I agree 8gb is overkill i bet, usually my computer sits around 40% ram usage and pretty much never hits anything above 85%.

Nvidia also has fairly good drivers for linux right now which is a bonus.

When I was using Vista a few months back with my two x1950s in crossfire I had to disable crossfire so that I could output to my monitor and tv at the same time....and enabling/disabling that was really buggy.

The 40% ram usage was with windows vista. Currently with linux it is using 25% for the system and all my open apps (firefox, compiz, deluge torrent and more..) 56% is being cached for programs I use frequently.

I haven't checked the memory usage in XP but I expect it to be much lower.

I also did a 'tweak' to disable the hard drive swap file so it may be using more ram for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom