Laptop Hardware Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApolloIV

In Runtime
I have a HPdv9000 and have had it for a couple months now and it's been flawless. Yesterday I came across a problem, I started up my laptop and browsed the web for awhile and then just let my laptop sit for probably 30 minutes. When I came back it had rebooted, and jumped since I have a ubuntu on a different partition and it booted into that. Well i restarted and booted back into Vista home premium, the strange thing that i noticed was at the the bios and the grub screens the text was strange looking, like their were line running through it. The Vista welcome page came up and everything looked fine so i logged in and as it was on a black screen loading for a couple seconds I all of a sudden got a pink screen!?! It was really strange because it looked like when an NES game wouldn't load and you had to blow into the cartridge. I'm really curios why this would happen, what i thought it might be was i downloaded the new Firefox3 beta 4. I was able to boot into safe mode but the screen still had come weird colored lines on it that wouldnt go away. I removed FireFox and even updated my Video driver and it still didnt help. But this morning Booted up my laptop to mess with it to see if i could fix it and it is working fine!? the only thing i noticed was at the loading screen were the loading bar is the bar itself looked a bit goofy like it was going to happen again, but so far its alright. I didnt know if it could be a hardware issue, I'm gonna get a can of duster and clean it out since i havent done that yet and i'm jumping on the chance that it's dust interfering with somthing. If you guys have any ideas on how this could be fixed for future cases or what the cause might be i would be greatly appreciated. I use this for College and if i loose this i'm gonna be screwed, lol. Thanks.

Well I blew it out with canned air and windows will start now, but when it loads it says that the display driver has failed but has returned successfully. Soooo now idk what to think. I might take the whole thing apart to see if some dust is stuck somewhere, when i blew it out it cleaned it alot so maybe i missed some that i cant get to.

Lol, thats funny because I just got off the phone with HP support and they said I'll have to send it in for repair free of charge. I told him the problems I was having and immediately told me I'll have to send it in for repair. At least its getting fixed i guess. He said it shouldn't take more then 6-9 days for the repair which sounds decent, still a pain the the *** tho.

Back up all of your data before sending it in! HP often re-images laptops when you send them back in so you don't want to lose anything. Good of them to take care of it so promptly.

Yeah they told me to do that but i dont really have anything really important except for some School files. I'm just concerned if this is going to happen again. I've read some other forums saying that the HP pavilion laptops start running really hot when they updated their bios through the HP updater. I sometimes game on it and i have a chill pad so i thought i was safe. Guess i'll have to be more careful.

Edit: I was also thinking of removing vista and running XP Pro, but i'm undecided.

What you need is a fan control utility that will leave the fan(s) running at high speed no matter what the cpu temperature is. I don't know if there is such a utility for HP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom