Building A Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Questions:

Processor -> Why should he buy a OEM?
Motherboard -> Isn't a 680i SLI better and cheaper?
Memory -> Should he go for 8GB? Why not a faster RAM speed?
Graphic Card -> Is 2 9600GT better than 2 8800GTS? Which one is better 3870X2 or 8800GTS? How about the coming soon 9800?
Power Supply -> Shouldn't the Watt be higher if I SLI?
Cooling -> Should he go for Water Cooling?
OS -> Isn't Vista Ulitmate 64-bit better?

[Prototype said:
Processor -> Why should he buy a OEM?
OEM is a better choice, if he decides to go for the heatsink I suggested. And deciding to get that heatsink, if he decides to overclock. If he's not doing anything of that sort, he can pick retail instead.

Motherboard -> Isn't a 680i SLI better and cheaper?
680i is cheaper. If he wants that to SLI video cards, it's fine. If he doesn't want multiple graphic cards, I would suggest any of these:
DFI Lanparty DK P35-T2RS
Gigabyte EP35-DS3R

Memory -> Should he go for 8GB? Why not a faster RAM speed?
He shouldn't need 8GB, unless he's graphic designing or using such applications that require that amount of memory. And DDR2-800 RAM is plenty fast, if he's not deciding to overclock. And if he is, those sticks can overclock to faster speeds as well.

Graphic Card -> Is 2 9600GT better than 2 8800GTS? Which one is better 3870X2 or 8800GTS? How about the coming soon 9800?
Two 9600GTs aren't better than two 8800GTS 512s, in terms of performance, but in terms of price/performance, yes.
The HD 3870X2 would be better than the 8800GTS 512.
The 9800 series isn't much of an improvement over the current high end 8800s. But future improved drivers might change that.

Power Supply -> Shouldn't the Watt be higher if I SLI?
It's not a matter of watts, but a matter of amps on the PSU's +12v rails. That power supply has 60A, and that can power almost any high end system out there, plus some room for future upgrades.

Cooling -> Should he go for Water Cooling?
If he's overclocking. If not, the stock cooler will do fine, in which you'll have to get the retail Q6600.

OS -> Isn't Vista Ulitmate 64-bit better?
Ultimate just comes with a few extra features, that in my opinion, is not necessary. But if he wants, let him.

It's not that hard. Almost all of the components connect to each other in only one way. And there are alot of guides out there, I think we have one here, that teaches you how to build a computer. Just google it.

If there any questions or problems on him building, don't hesitate to ask here.

What is a heatsink? Is the 8800GTS two cards or one? Does the graphic card work on the 680i i did a little research and it had 0 PCI Express 2.0 lanes? I dont really see any difference or which one is better.

A heatsink is a metal device used to dissipate heat, coming from the processor or chip.

The 8800GTS is one card. The reason I put x2, is if he wants to runs two of them in SLI. It's only an option, but a requirement if he wants to play games on a big screen. Usually 24 inches or larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom