turning off computer equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was concerned about my tft display and the printer scanner copier combo.

should i turn them off too or levae them on

Killian is right. I keep mine on 24/7 and only shut down the entire system when I leave for an extended absence as in leaving for several days.

There is very little benefit in shutting down your PC IMHO to save electricity. I have heard that when you're not using the computer and the CPU is idle, it uses very little electricity. The biggest power monger is the monitor itself. I have it to turn off automatically after 30 minutes of non-use. Do NOT use the power button on the monitor itself as it increase the wear and tear and shorts the lifespan of the monitor.

As for the scanner/printer combo, you can leave it on. The amount of electricity it consumes while idle is miniscule compared to the actual PC itself.

yea i have my monitor turn off after 1min of idling. and i dont even have my printer plugged in, cause i bairly use it.. depends on how much u wont to use it i guess.

my TFT screen has just one touch sensitive button to turn it off/on.
it has got some sort of power saving feature whereby it turns off after some time of no use.

should i leave the tft screen as it is, and it will take care of itself by turning off when not being used, or should i set it to turn off faster or should i use the power on/off button every night.

my tft screen is the samsung 193P by the way, it is gorgeous

well, if what you are saying is what I'm thinking you are, it doesn't actually TURN OFF, but instead goes into a stand-by mode, in which power is still distributed to it, but in small amounts and its just to receive a interupt (not IRQ) signal saying that there is activity occuring, when it recieves that it goes into a normal mode. I honestly dont know if its better to have that or a screen saver, but even in stand-by there is a small amount of juice there but its very miniscule. One thing I WOULD suggest, however, is at least a reboot. I leave mine on 24/7 and reboot every other day, or as I see the need, to clear anything cached in memory like TSR programs and such.

TFT or as alota ppl ike to call it LCD screen... yes u can just turn it right off with the button on the monitor. thats what i would do. what killian was taking about applys to CRT monitors not LCD. so your monitor will not have any wear or tear caused by turning it off and on.

i think it turns off, since after i get back to it after say over 12 hours, i can't wake it up with my mouse movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom