Reluctant Vista install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran into some problems on the first attempt shrinking an XP Pro primary to allow for Vista on a second one. As I mentioned earlier Windows likes that first primary. Vista is even more demanding on that while XP could go on a second with 98 on the first far easier when that was seen on some older builds.

The wonders of a second drive also provide another benefit. First you don't rsik anything trying to shrink the current XP primary plus if you decide Vista is not for you later the XP mbr/boot files can be restored later for the stand alone OS. The additional drive then becomes a good storage device.

You are right Atomic. OEM will not upgrade yoru machine. They will only do full fresh installs. It is the retail DVD that can do both. Or was it the ones from MSDN/TechNET? Not sure anymore as the ones i have can do either.

I simply run the OEM for system builders releases and never upgrade inplace since I won't be intending to be rolling back. If 98SE was still seeing support for the new boards I would see that dual booted with XP on one drive and Vista with ubuntu or another distro on the host.

I partitially get around 98 and dos with DOSBox however like running an old 8bit dos program on Vista? Should have had 5.1 surround back in 1990-93! :p

Install vista, I pretty much learn by doing, its not disimillar to alot of computer users; using more recent software will force it on you, you will adapt.

Install vista, I pretty much learn by doing, its not disimillar to alot of computer users; using more recent software will force it on you, you will adapt.

There you go! That's the way anyone gets an aquired "hands on" type experience as part of the learning process.

I'm backing up all my important data to an external HD and instlling a fresh copy of vista on my gamer only. I'm going to stick with XP SP2 on my recording studio machine for a least another year since it is very stable. I think by then, I'll just upgrade all my studio hardware and go with vista. Thanks for all the help. I'm gald to know that the OEM can't do an upgrade!!!

I continue to run both versions here since I run into incompatibility issues with some programs until I can locate the Vista ready versions. You know what they say "don't fix what isn't broke!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom