Want to make sure new mobo compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you helped me A LOT . . . if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have bought a micro atx and I would've been stuck with a non-micro atx board or I'd be racking my brain to figure out why it doesn't fit. The mobo and graphics card should be arriving within the next 5 business days.

Now all I need to do is get the hsf off the cpu and I'll be all set. Those brackets are extremely hard to get off. A few months ago, I bought the dual core cpu but I had to bring it to a pc repair shop to get the brackets off and he charged me $30.00 to take them off. But this time, I won't have to worry about ruining my mobo if I slip with a screwdriver or pliers, so I might just get away with it.

Thanks again Trotter. You've been great!

Oh, I was so dumb . . . Thank you too zedman. I blame it on euphoric relief and I wasn't thinking clearly. I appreciate your help as well and I offer my apologies for not thanking you along with Trotter. I thought my computer was going to die but you and Trotter truly saved it for me and that means a lot to me.

I didn't notice it before, but the mobo has only 2 RAM slots (probably the reason the board didn't sell out). I have 2 twin sticks of 1G RAM in my present pc. I wasn't planning to install 2 more sticks of RAM in the new mobo, just use the ones I have.

What does this mean in terms of dual core processing? The definition of the slots on the mobo pictures call them "Memory Slots: Dual Channel DDR."

You'll be fine. The board can only handle 2 gigs, so you are within its limit.

Dual-channel just means that, if two sticks of equal value are put in the motherboard, it will use them at the same time, doubling the memory through-put. It is standard on motherboards now.

Nothing to worry about.

Will it give me dual core processing? The reason I'm asking is because I found the exact same board that I have on the internet and it's for dual core processing. That's very important to me because I do a lot of video work and dual core speed shaves hours off of what I'm doing at the time.

No, your CPU will give you dual-core processing. Dual-channel will give you double throughput on your RAM, which is a good thing.

Your CPU will operate as it should, as the mobo will run a dual-core according to its specs.

If I was reading your question wrong, Yes, this motherboard supports a dual-core CPU and will allow it to utilize both cores.

Trotter, I'm sorry to be so picky . . . it's just that I've had such bad luck with this build that I'm trying to make doubly sure that everything is right.

btw . . . I Googled my present mobo, Biostar TFORCE 6100-939, and its available, lol. I'm not going to buy it but it'll be a fall back.

Thanks again for helping me so much. You spelled it out for me. Now I can sit back and relax until the parts come in. *happy, happy, joy, joy* :)

Glad to help. That's why I'm here.

It pays to be picky, especially when there is money involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom