Building a new desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbetenia1

In Runtime
I need to build a new gaming desktop. I play a lot of mmo's so im gonna need a powerful computer. I have the graphics card picked out Geforce 8800GT, and that is about it. My last post didnt really get me the info that i needed since it turned into a discussion on graphics cards.... so i decided to post again. My budget is $1,300. I guess the best way to start and for me to get some info on the parts is going component by component. Ill check this everyday. Thanks everyone for your help.

E8400 is pretty much what your going to want for your CPU unless you want a quad...i see no reason with that much money why you wouldn't.

from what i've seen, it seems like everyone is saying that intels are much better now than amd. Is the E8400 better than the Core 2 Duo E6850? They are both roughly the same price. Also, is a quad core really that much better to have right now for the money? I figure i can get either a really good dual core, or an ok quad core. I dont know, im still fairly new at this. And what is the advantage of the quad core?

so about the quad cores. are they worth it for my price range? or should i stick with the Core 2 Duo E8400?

Another E8400 v. Q6600...

If you are looking for a processor to last for a very long time, the Q6600 is the right path.

If you multi-task very heavily (including video/photo editing), Q6600 is the choice.

If your purpose is below the two that I mentioned before, then get the E8400.

Both processors can do that. But are you planning to keep this processor for a very long time, or upgrading often? If upgrading often, the E8400 is a good choice. If not, Q6600.

Both processors can do that. But are you planning to keep this processor for a very long time, or upgrading often? If upgrading often, the E8400 is a good choice. If not, Q6600.

agreed since games are getting to be QUad-Core Intensive, eventually the q6600 > e8400 in games

but right now, it barely can read dual-cores, so e8400 is good for now if you plan on upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom