Booting problems +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewgen1

Baseband Member
Some times people say that bad things come in threes. In my Case I think it might actually be fours. First My MSN messenger quits, then my new video card f's up, then when I try to reinstall windows and turn off some of the superfluous services (to solve the first two problems in respective order) I get even more problems. ItÂ’s the last two IÂ’m most concerned with right now.

I tried to install an extra copy of Windows XP Home on a small (20 GB) hard drive, which I had set as the primary master. I had hoped to get this second one running then copy all of my important data off of my old hard drive. After doing this could format the original hard drive and ghost the new one back. Well I got the second copy of XP installed without to many glitches, however once I got my dialup connection working and installed MSN Messenger it gave me the same error it had before. Since this obviously wasnÂ’t going to fix my problem I figured that I would just scrap the idea and put things back to how they were. So I switched the original hard drive back to master set the new one as slave and proceeded to format said new hard drive. Well now every time I boot up it asks me which windows I want to start: XP or XP. If I just let it go, it tries to boot to the one on the new hard rive and tells me that there are a bunch of files missing. Could someone tell me how the heck to make my comp realize that I actually formatted away the extra install of XP?

The other problem is that I tried to use Blackvipers (www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Servicecfg.htm) XP Service tweaks (I used the "safe" one) to optimize my computer and thus improve my video cards performance. After I finished changing the service settings I restarted my computer and tested the video card. I got no improvement so I went online to post an update on what I had tried. When my comp finished dialing I could get online, but in the Network Connections my Dialup connection said that it was disconnected and the Dial-up icon that should appear on the lower right taskbar doesnÂ’t. I now have to restart my computer every time I want to log OFF the internet. I tried turning all of the services back on, but regretfully it doesnÂ’t seem to have done anything. Does anyone know what I did or how to fix it?

Mewgen1,

A couple of things, according to your system specs, you are running SP2, if so it is still in beta testing so glitches are to be expected.

You might have to do a windows update and let SP1 and all of the patches update your PC (I know it will take an eternity over slowband) that usually eliminates 90% of your issues.

Why don't you try it on your secondary drive, the one you were going to use to create the image. Reformat, install the OS, drivers and patches and give it a shot.

It sounds like you still have a bootable but damaged version of WinXP left on your system.

To get rid of the second boot option do the following:
Click Start>Run and type msconfig
Go to the BOOT.INI tab
Under the [operating systems] section, remove the top entry. It's going to be a long string of jibberish (mulit[0]disk[0]blablabla) ending with \WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP blablabla /fastdetect"

Remove the one on top which would be the one it default boots on and you won't see that screen again.

You still should go in and remove that second copy of windows on the other drive and clean it up. But that's your preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom