Wireless Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
MicroBell said:
Hahahaha.. You watch too much TV....LOL Their has been no medical link by any reputiable medical study done that attributes cell phones...to brain cancer. Anyway to answer your question...NO. Wireless networking will not effect a cell phone or vice versa. The channels and bands between the two are locked and assigned via the FCC.

On the contrary, I actually don't watch TV. I do read articles an magazines and on the net instead, and I get similar news. However, what you state is the defence of wireless. I do believe there is a connection, I was just asking if there is a difference to the exposure of the brain, which is what (if anything) can be damaged.

I appreciate all your responses, and I'd like to comment that I wasn't exactly asking about interference...more about comparisin in exposure. However, I probably should have been more clear and presise with the question.

Anyhow, just asking in addition, I am planning to add a wireless access point, not a router, to the existing wired router in the basement of my house. (which in a few months won't have a use). If the router is trashed, can I use an access point like a hub, or is it wiser to go with a full featured wireless router and try and sell the wired one?

Qiranworms, I am sure you will want at least one wireless router to sit between you and the Internet, after that there is no need to use anything else but a WAP.

If I were you I might wait a little bit more as 802.11g is coming out soon and offers roughly 4 times the bandwidth of 802.11b and still operates on the 2.4 band. Linksys and Apple have already marketed some WAPs that can utilize 802.11g so perhaps you could look into those.

The other thing to consider of course is security. Security can be a bit tricky with wireless and I would suggest using nothing less than a MAC Authentication table. At work we use a RADIUS server that handles our authentication.

Haha. I don't think that there are any HEALTH precautions that need to take place when setting up a wireless network. I assure you that.

You never know. You hear what they say about Cell Phones. ;)

Yaah, but studies show it would take like thousands of years before any effect takes place.

I would like to see your sources for that. That may be so for wireless networks, and even the digital cell phones. But if anything, analog cell phones do seem to have some sort of connection with problems in the brain area. I've somewhat concluded that this is because of the direct contact, ie right next to the brain. Thanks.

Due to pricing, and lack of need, I believe 802.11b will be fine. That hasn't been the issue, my cable modem has a cap of about 1.2 Mbps (I started to try and edit that...I got as far as downloading the configuration file but I not only found out that it was not possible with my provider, but I decided that it was theft.....if any of you are brave and your cable provider hasn't set up precautions for that go to iuncap.com). If you seem to think I need a router, I should probably just try and sell my wired one for now.

Thanks everyone for your help. This thread is over. (not that I have the power to lock it :p )

I got that from somethingo on TechLive on TechTV. They said it would take a certain amount of time for any effect. I don't remember the exact amount of time but I remember it was longer then the US human life expectancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom