Graphics Card installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amidamaru

In Runtime
Hi, I have changed my mind on the graphics card i was going for through a little persuasion. Instead, i have decided to buy a older release, the ATI Radeon 9800 XT or whatever one has a 256mb ddr thingy.

Right, the thing is though. I wish to install it myself, I have looked up on the internet. From what i think it is are these instructions (basically):

1. Uninstalling all graphics card drivers installed (unsure whether this applies to integrated graphics cards or not)
2. Remove the side panel of the CPU
3. If there is a graphics card in there, unscrewing it and removing the graphics card removing the card and placing the new one in, securing it with the screw.
4. Placing the side panel back on.
5. Installing latest drivers.

I am wondering if anyone has or no of a website where it shows the installation of a graphics card or if anyone could make one if possible? I don't think its much of a big deal to install a graphics card and I believe installing a sound card would be the same basic idea.

Also... If i need Anti-earth bands and all that or if there not really necessary for just installing a graphics/sound card. The sort of screwdriver needed and its size etc.

So please, if anyone knows of a video that i could watch to just have a look at it installed and answering the question "do i need to uninstall the display drivers for only a integrated video card?"

Please reply soon, Cheers!

Amidamaru said:
So please, if anyone knows of a video that i could watch to just have a look at it installed and answering the question "do i need to uninstall the display drivers for only a integrated video card?"

Those steps you outlined above are pretty much right. If you are unsure whether you have a graphics card installed or not, you could make life simpler for yourself by lookin in the device manager in Windows. If you currently have one installed, uninstall it by going into the control panel and using the "Add/Remove hardware" control applet.

If you're using on-board graphics, there is nothing to uninstall. Reboot the PC and go into your BIOS menu to disable on-board graphics. I'm not sure all BIOS menus will give you that option, if you don't find such an option, come back and post.

It is always a good idea to use an anti-static wriststrap when working on your PC - particularly when handling an expensive component like a graphics card. If you don't have one, read this link.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23666

Read the last posting.

And would you say installing a graphics card is reasonably simply to do? Or would you say i should let a professional do it. I wish to learn myself but if it is really complicated then i will let a professioanl do it. I am pretty much familiar with motherboards, CPU's etc though.

Amidamaru,

Don't be too timid about doing this. If you already have some experience working on your PC, you shouldn't have too much problem. You'll learning something new, save some $$$ and feel a sense of gratification in the process.

Really, the steps you outlined in your post above is really about it. It's not rocket science. Make sure you understand my last posting before proceeding.

Ok thanks, I am just confirming though about the Anti Static wrist band.

If i didnt get one:

Touch a metal part of the computer before procedding into it - away from the PSU?

If i did get it:

I was looking in the shop, the two components are - a plug with an adapter for the anti wrist band round thingy to go into and the band itself.

I am guessing that firstly:

1. I wear the band
2. Plug in the plug into the socket and turn it on
3. Place the round adaptor into the plug thing
4. Place the crocodile clips on a metal surface?

Please confirm if you happen to be around here. Was jsut writing the reply when you posted :)

P.S So no-one knows of a website that i could view of download to see someone installing a graphics card? I just like to see things visually if i can. I know of many websites that show written and imagery instructions but no video. I tried google but no luck.

Amidamaru,

You're really making this to be more difficult than it needs to be.

If you're gonna use a anti-static wrist strap, make sure that it's clipped to a grounded source such as a metal post in your home. That's really the preferred way.

As for searching for a video (tutorial) I really do not think you'll find one specifically for installing a video card off the internet. Like I said earlier, JUST DO IT man. Follow the directions and work methodically.

You don't need a wrist guard, just keep in contact with the case, and try and do it off the carpet. I set mine on the table and sit there when I install stuff. Also, make sure, if your motherboard has it, that you move the little AGP lock holding the card on. There's a little lock, looks like the locks on either side of your memory DIMMs, you just push it down to unlock the card. My step-father didn't do that and broke the AGP slot getting his old card out and had to get a new MoBo. Also, not to complicate your life more, but I wouldn't go with that card exactly... I know, great card and all, but there is a little known alternative. The 256 MB 9800 Pro is actually the EXACT same card as the 9800 XT!! All you have to do is find a 9800 XT bios and flash it to the pro card and TA DA!! it's an XT for about $100 less. Here's a post on how to do it.
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=92&var2=0
good luck and happy gaming

Oh, thats a good bit of information. Now that has made me think of another question. I saw in town a ATI Radeon 9800se (only 128mb one) for £100. I have no idea if SE is good or not and if its a sapphire, or whatever. I am wondering if you would recommend me buying the 256mb of Pro/XT edition or the SE? I don't mind too much about money but if its virtually the same then please tell me. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom