AGP 8x vs PCI 16x preferomce difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zukster

Solid State Member
Hey I was wondering what the performance difference if like between the AGP 8X and the pci 16x. I'm mostly concerned with the gaming aspect of this. Assuming they are the same video cards how big of an FPS loss / performance loss would i see.

Hey zukster,
Welcome to Tech-Forums!!!

There is little to no difference in performance between the two. Just think of the AGP 8x as a PCI 16x, since AGP was designed to replace the PCI slot for graphic cards.

Hey zukster,
Welcome to Tech-Forums!!!

There is little to no difference in performance between the two. Just think of the AGP 8x as a PCI 16x, since AGP was designed to replace the PCI slot for graphic cards.

Thanks for the warm welcome! So why is it that everyone gets 16x now-a-days? It also costs more money. Just curious as to why that is.

Oh, you're mixed up with PCIe slots. PCIe is the replacement technology for AGP. PCI would be the oldest/outdated for graphic cards.

Oh, you're mixed up with PCIe slots. PCIe is the replacement technology for AGP. PCI would be the oldest/outdated for graphic cards.

Yea thats what I meant to say was PCI-E, So is there a performance difference on PCI-E and AGP 8X?

In that case, yes. PCIe is the new techology that replaces AGP, like I said before.

AGP should be phased out, within next year hopefully. Or until companies stop producing AGP cards.

which is happening already. there are not that many agp cards anymore. Like the 3870 wasnt even made in agp was it? only the 3850?

yep just the HD3850 as the most powerful AGP GPU out right now, 2nd place is Gecube x1950xt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom