HELP! Building Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KornNut

In Runtime
I am building a PC. I have run into one problem.

I have connected everything to the motherboard. When I go to power up to install windows, I run into one problem.

There are two power cables for the motherboard. One is your standard P1 cable (long white cable), and the smaller 12V P1 cable (looks identical but is much smaller).

When I power up the PC, WITH the smaller power cable connected, the power shuts off five seconds after (the computer does not boot), but I do have power to the CD Rom drives.

When I power up the PC, WITHOUT the smaller power cable connected, the power stays on, but I have no power to the CD Rom drives.

PLEASE help me out!!! Thanx

What mobo do you have? Seems like a messed up mobo, and it is running into an error. If not, you may need to check your PSU. Hope this helps.

No, I dont think so...it must be either the PSU (power supply) or the mobo. If you have another PSU, try and use that one to see if it works. Some PSUs get old or malfunction and do not put out the rated power...this usually happens to older machinces. My mom's pc is having this problem. It is a 200watt and all the sudden it shutsdown. It is because it didnt have the power to run the mobo, the hard drive, and the CDROM. So after boot up, when the CDROM is used, shutdown. No it is bad enough that it wont run even with the mobo and hard drive plugged in. So, if you can get a different PSU and try it, it may be the original PSU. IF the problem persists, it may be the mobo that is malfunctioning, which meas sending it back if it is still under warranty. And if it is not that, then even I am puzzled. Let me know what you find.

350 Watt Power supply to support:

3.0 GHz P4 w/ Hyper Threading
ATI 9800 Pro video card
7.1 Creative Sound Blaster
DVD+/-RW drive
DVD Rom Drive
160 GB SATA Hard Drive
1 Gig DDR Ram
4 fans

To tell you the truth, I think the PSU....never heard of that kinda porblem w/the mobo. But, really could be either or. Let me know.

Like I said, I have a 350 watt power supply. I have tried to boot the PC with only the basics (motherboard, onboard video/audio, RAM, and keyboard), yet the computer still will not boot. The PSU IS giving power - with everything hooked up, I have all fans working, power to the ROMs, etc. So... I believe that it is either the CPU or the mobo.

Try Reseating the CPU

From messing with old ATX computers I know that the PSU can still be delivering power to the motherboard and the computer not boot up because the CPU is not seated right

Could be different with the newer ATX but its worth a try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom