RAM timings and Overclocking info post

Status
Not open for further replies.
some people like low Timings with low clock speeds, some like high of both, and downclock to their needs, I personally like low Timings and low Clock speeds (aka the Crucial Ballistix 2gb ddr2-667 kit with 3-3-3-12) and push it up

I don't know alot about ram.. just that lower timings are faster than higher timings usually..

Is higher timed ram better for high overclocking than lower timed ram? - Yes/no

Example: Higher timed ram gives you more room for overclocking than lower timed ram?

OR

is the ram with the lower timing better for overclocking since it is the faster ram?

Other: If your ram is 3-3-3-12 can you make it go 5-5-5-15? OR If your ram is 5-5-5-15 can you make it go 3-3-3-12?

yes to both, but pushing it to 3-3-3-12 from 5-5-5-15 would be a bit hard unless you increase the voltage, or if its like ddr2 1066 or ddr2 1200 or something

I prefer high mhz's. They have benchies w/ tight timings and loose timings. The difference is miniscule.

i lost .2 off my SuperPI score with lower mhz and tighter timings 0_0

anyways, when you overclock, you wan't incredibly lax (loose) timings and very low frequencies so that you know the ram isn't the problem

i lost .2 off my SuperPI score with lower mhz and tighter timings 0_0

anyways, when you overclock, you wan't incredibly lax (loose) timings and very low frequencies so that you know the ram isn't the problem

Ok, So that means I would need the 5-5-5-15 RAM if I am going to overclock my system for better performance?

ALSO

I wonder if the 5-5-5-15 RAM does provide better performance for overclocking systems WHY would you need the 3-3-3-12 RAM?

Could someone make a list of RAM timings and explain what they are used for
and explain what timings of RAM are better for overclocking than other timings.

no... your totally misunderstanding it lol

you don't get better performance with looser timings and lower frequencies...

its just that its easier to overclock your CPU when your ram is loosened and lowered because your FSB is directly tied to your RAM's frequency... thus if you overclock your CPU like crazy, eventually your ram will reach a point where it can't go that fast, thus you'll need to loosen timings, increase/decrease the ram/cpu divider or lower the frequency manually

once you've reached the max CPU overclock, then you can start tightening your timings and raising your RAM speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom