Installing Updates before Shutdown (XP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perf

Solid State Member
I recently built a new computer running Windows XP Home. For the past few days it's been wanting me to install those "important updates" before shutting down - the kind that, after clicking shutdown, it installs them THEN shuts down. Problem is, it never actually installs them. After a few minutes my computer freezes up and thus the installation isn't actually completed, so I have to restart the computer. This never happened on my old machine (I can post hardware specs of this machine if you need them). How do I fix the problem so the updates install fine? Or are the updates not really needed? Thanks in advance.

it can take a while...when it "freezes" what do you do? and how long is this actually?

clear your system caches, internet cache...and let it update

updates are a wise thing to let it do
people with pirated versions of Windows don't like to update
your choice really

it can take a while...when it "freezes" what do you do? and how long is this actually?

clear your system caches, internet cache...and let it update

updates are a wise thing to let it do
people with pirated versions of Windows don't like to update
your choice really

My copy of Windows is legit =P

When it freezes I wait for a bit before I get fed up and hit the reset button - I think the longest I've waited is about 20 minutes. Windows updates says it's about 400 KB so there's no way it should be a 20 minute install, right?

Peter - when I run it through windows updates I get this:

I tried manually downloading the .exe also, but when I run it it says "setup canceled". Neither method tells me why it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Why don't you just do a manual install of the updates before you shut down your PC? That way, you can see what's going on while updating.

EDIT: Silly me and my lack of reading the entire thread before posting, nm...

PS. Atomic Tofu: Just for the record and not that I condone anything of the sort, the majority of pirated OS are seen as genuine and therefore, perfectly updatable.

No they are not. With Windows XP it takes a lot of hacking to get it to be noticed as legit with the WGA.

Why not just shut it down without installing them? then install the updates when you go on next? I mean if it is legit why not jsut isntall them? You know they are there. They are there for a reason. So just install them and stop this from happening.

That is only 1 update. Are you sure there are not others?

perf...wasn't saying yours wasn't legit...but some who might suggest not to update...you know ;) hehe

and sure, freak, that pirated stuff might pass, but I don't want to even mention it as an option or possibility

ALSO, you could turn the auto updates off if they are giving you problems, but they shouldn't...because if they are on, the system will look for something that needs to be updated...and then does it (depending on setting). Very rarely is a system requested update responsible for messing up the system.

using the kb to do a search...
the following is a possible fix:
---
Go to Start, Run, type in

net stop wuauserv

Click OK

Navigate to the WINDOWS\Software Distribution folder. Rename the
Software Distribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old

Go to Start, Run, type in

net start wuauserv
---

you may also be able to fix the issue by uninstalling the windows installer and reinstalling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom