vista install (yawn!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazzer55

Baseband Member
hi folks! everso sorry if this has already been done to death, but i can't find any reference to my situation;
i am intending to use an old abit ic7 board (i875) that i have in mothballs to load vista home premium. i have downloaded the latest chipset and sound drivers for vista, but, as i have run out of Pata hard drives i was about to order a new Sata drive...thing is, i can't find vista sata drivers for this chipset. i have never used sata before so i am ignorant of what most people have been doing for years!! is this a no-go? any pointers please
thanks

You could also see if your BIOS can just emulate the SATA drives as IDE drives; that's what my BIOS has defaulted on, on every computer I've used that uses SATA. I haven't had to load SATA drives at all when I've installed Windows.

Hello,

Unlike Windows XP, generic SATA drivers are already included in Windows Vista. You should be able to use a SATA hard drive and install Vista on it with no problem, and without having to disable SATA native mode in the BIOS (in other words, without having the drive operate in PATA mode).

thanks so much folks...i reckon i'll give it a try.
unfortunately (maybe) this version of ic7 doesn't have the silicon image chip in place, so i am relying on the sata1 &2 connections which are the intel south bridge contributions. however, i only use one or two drives anyway so it's not a problem.
i'll go buy a sata drive and see.....
thanks again to all for swift replies
cheers for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom