detecting hard drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigblue736

Solid State Member
Hi folks

I have an 2000 dell computer that I recently swaped the 40 gig hard drive to an 80 gig hard drive.When I powered the pc up and try to do a set up I get and error message that reads as follow's:

Primary Drive 0 not found.Strike F1 to continue or F2 to run set up utility

When I try to boot from Window's XP Pro disk I get an error message that reads as follows:

Set up did not find any Hard Disk Drives installed on your computer.Make sure any Hard Disk Drives are properly connected and that any disk related hardware configurations is correct.This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or set up program.

Is there any thing I can do ?
help appreciated
Many Thanks
Bigblue

Go into the BIOS, press F1 during startup. From there, look for options for the boot drive or if the drive is even shown.

Hi peterhuang913

thaks for posting.So I went to the set up menu and the Primary Master Drive reads-"unknown"
Boot Sequence reads:Hard Disk Drive -"not installed"

Did I do this right ?
Any sugestions ?
Thanks
Bigblue

Oh boy! It sounds like that LBA problem again! The bios may not offer support for that large a drive. You might have to manually enter the amount of cylinders, heads, and sectors from the label on the drive itself if not selecting the largest size from a list.

The alternative on many old systems was to use a drive overlay when going over the maximum the bios allowed for. Western Digital saw EZ-Drive while Maxtor saw MaxBlast, and I forgot what Seagate called their's. Review the manual if you have that onhand.

Hi eyeCpc
Oh boy! It sounds like that LBA problem again! The bios may not offer support for that large a drive.
You might have to manually enter the amount of cylinders, heads, and sectors from the label on the drive itself if not selecting the largest size from a list.
How and where would I go about doin this ?
The alternative on many old systems was to use a drive overlay when going over the maximum the bios allowed for. Western Digital saw EZ-Drive while Maxtor saw MaxBlast, and I forgot what Seagate called their's. Review the manual if you have that onhand.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand !

Bigblue

what's your motherboard maker? and do you know the specific model number for it? You might be lucky and you/we might find an updated bios that allows support of large hard drives

Hi atomic tofu

Does this sound right "Rev AOO"

The hard drive I'm trying to in stall is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
Tkx
Bigblue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom