Compaq Presario C700 Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0mmun1st4lyf3

In Runtime
Hi, I just have a few questions. Yesterday one of my two 512Mb memory sticks broke, so now i am running on one 512 stick...which is extremely slow. I was wondering what are the choices that I can make right now: Buy another 512? buy a 1G? will that work?(1G + 512 sticks). What type of memory will work?

I am not good with laptops, but I see it says PC2 5300 SODIMM.

Help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Both sticks will have to be the same size for dual channel mode to work. That's most likely why you noticed the slowdown(more so then losing 512k). Go with another 512k or 2 1gb sticks.

Yup, if you run off one stick, you lose the DDR. The sticks have to be the same size, and even model. Two GB sticks works.

Go to Crucial.com they will tell you there what option you have. From how much memory your system can hole to what configurations will work.

Yup, if you run off one stick, you lose the DDR. The sticks have to be the same size, and even model. Two GB sticks works.

You don't 'lose the DDR'. You lose the ability to utilise the dual channel architecture (i.e. the use of two 64-bit data channels).

A single DDR-SDRAM module in a non dual channel configuration will still operate at it's rated DDR clock speed, but will just use one 64-bit data channel instead of two. In other words, the clock speed doesn't change, the bandwidth / throughput does.

In context, a single DDR2-400 RAM module (also known as PC2-3200), on it's own in a non dual channel configuration, will operate at 400 MHz giving a peak transfer rate of 3,200 MB/s.

Two DDR2-400 RAM modules in a dual channel configuration will still operate at 400 MHz, but instead will provide a peak transfer rate of 6,400 MB/s, due to the utilisation of two 64-bit data channels (a total bandwidth of 128-bits).http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/133/5

Back to the original query, if your motherboard supports dual channel configuration, then I suggest taking advantage of it by purchasing and using two identical RAM modules.

Yes, the DDR ability is still there, just not being utilized.

No.

As already explained, DDR is always being 'utilised' in DDR-SDRAM, because that is the architecture of the RAM itself. Data is always being transferred on both the rising and falling edges of the clock signal in DDR-SDRAM, dual channel configuration or not.

'DDR' and 'Dual Channel' are not two of the same things and are not synonymous. 'DDR' concerns the transfer of data on both edges of the clock cycle, whereas 'dual channel' concerns the utilisation of two 64-bit data channels instead of one.

Everything You Need to Know About DDR Dual Channel | Hardware Secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom