Building an all-around PC; need some reassurance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashyyyk

Solid State Member
I've been working on my old computer, but I figure that I can just ditch my old hardware (and when I say old, I mean P4 400FSB old), and upgrade to newer hardware. Only problem is, I'm still a little iffy on what I should buy. Currently, I've found some new parts to pretty much revamp my current setup, but I wanted to take some advice from people who probably know better than I do.

I normally shop on Newegg, because it's usually the best place I can find the cheapest parts.

Links:

CPU

HD

Graphics Card

PSU

RAM

Motherboard

Trying to keep things cost-effective, but still capable of playing new games. I also have a case and XP.

With that CPU you are going to want to add in an aftermarket cooler, because I assume you will be OCing. Also I don't know much about that graphics card tbh, but I would look into upping your budget in order to get a 3850, or 9600gt. It will be completely worth it if you plan to game at all.

I wouldnt OC that CPU. It is just a Dual Core P4. Nothing big. Not like it is a Core 2 Duo or anything. The GFX card is a good one. I have heard many great thigns about the 3850. Many people were telling me to get it as it blows away the 7600 series and the 8600 series card from nVidia.

Welcome to Tech-Forums kashyyyk!!

I wouldnt OC that CPU. It is just a Dual Core P4. Nothing big. Not like it is a Core 2 Duo or anything. The GFX card is a good one. I have heard many great thigns about the 3850. Many people were telling me to get it as it blows away the 7600 series and the 8600 series card from nVidia.

Welcome to Tech-Forums kashyyyk!!

actually its a Core 2 Duo, its Pentium Dual-Core (which uses the Allendale Core like the lower end Core 2 Duos) I think you're being confused with Pentium D?

good choice on the e2200 though, it overclocks to 3.0ghz-3.5ghz fairly easily, and that 11x Multiplier should help, also that GPU is quite garbage if you want to game, never heard of that HD company before, that Mushkin's RAM Specs are a bit bad Cas 5, 5-5-5-12 timings... also thats an Open Box MoboNewegg.com Newsletter - Lucky You! Antec Sweepstakes and Asus Eee PC $299.99 with Free Notebook Backpack

get that RAM there ^^^

I think your budget is $500, might want to start clean?

You can get a Abit IP35-E for less than the open box Ggabyte.

Newegg.com - ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

If you can afford it this GeForce 8800gs 384mb is considerably faster than an HD3650.

Newegg.com - XFX PVT88SFDF4 GeForce 8800GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

The only thing I'm worried about with that motherboard is the size. My current case may not be able to fit, and I'm on a pretty fixed budget. Would an old eMachine case be able to fit it? It's a W4685 model.

What size mobo do you have now? ATX or mATX? Both of the mobos are ATX (same size). If you measure your current mobo at about 9.6" by 9.6" you need a microATX board. If it measures 12" x 9.6" then either of those mobo listed will fit.

What size mobo do you have now? ATX or mATX? Both of the mobos are ATX (same size). If you measure your current mobo at about 9.6" by 9.6" you need a microATX board. If it measures 12" x 9.6" then either of those mobo listed will fit.

Any chance of me finding a microATX board that supports all that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom