Recycle Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

madking153

In Runtime
hi,i got a stupid question to ask . Currently I using Win 2000 Pro,
it took a long time to empty my recycle bin ,even there is only one small file in it .

There could be a lot of problems causing that.

First off, what kind of file was it? Where did you get it from.

And give us some system specs beyond W2k. Like, what proc you using, RAM, etc.

any file ...eg .word , mp3 ......
my com specs:
AMD athlon Xp 2400+
512mb ddr ram ,40gb WD and Asus A7N8x

Do you have any kind of virus scanning on your recycle bin?

Also, just for the hell of it, do a disk cleanup to clear things out and try a defrag/scandisk too. Although, right now, it sounds like you might have some kind of scanning going on.

Thirdly, are you on any kind of a network? Does this happen when you have no programs running?

Madking, i have the same symptom on my PC (W2K - OS). When i had it loaded on a FAT32 partition, I did not notice this symptom... the only difference now is that it's loaded on a NTFS partition which leads me to conclude it's something to do w/ the fact it's loaded on a NTFS formatted drive.

I would not worry too much about it, as long as it deletes the files in question. Open up the Recycle Bin and view it in Explorer fashion. Select all the files and hit the red X to delete them if you want to get rid of those files faster.

Instead of using the Recylce bin to delete files, use the Key combo "Shift" + "Delete"
This way files are removed without going to the recycle bin. Only do that for files you don't want back, cause it takes some work to recover them if you do.
LoneWolf,
the only thing I could think of with NTFS that would casue this is if your drive was really fragmented or getting full. NTFS handles things so much better then FAT ever could I just don't see how that could be the problem.

Inaris said:
LoneWolf,
the only thing I could think of with NTFS that would casue this is if your drive was really fragmented or getting full. NTFS handles things so much better then FAT ever could I just don't see how that could be the problem.

Hardly. I have a 200 GB HDD and it's nowhere it's being full. And I run DiskKeeper 1x week.

And yes I do agree that NTFS is a better FS than FAT32 but I was more or less alluding to the large overhead that NTFS has compared to FAT32.

I use NTFS on all my drives, and only notice sluggish delete times when I have either too many things going on, or a ton of crap to delete. It usually takes longer for the OS to find my custom recycle sound than it does to actually delete.

Which may be a hint-up for you, madking

Actually the performance of Win2k really differs in FAT32 and NTFS...

Do u have Norton installed and uninstalled.? that too can leave some registries which delay the Recycle bin to get empty...

I connected my com to my laptop,but i dont think that is the problem. yap ,i using W2k in NTFS.

>>Inaris : How you recover ur file that ur deleted (i mean deleted from recycle bin ?

>>no,idont haveNorton antvirus installed .But i got some anti virus tough . I don't have internet line at home ,so i dont worry about the virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom