Reluctant Vista install

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicoDirenzo

Fully Optimized
I have several puters one of which is a gaming machine which is found in my sig. I viewed my sons Direct 10 experince on his machine and was amazed at the difference. I have been a die hard advocate for XP sp2 and still am for my other systems one of which runs my home recording studio software which is extensive and NOT Vista compatible. I have two full OEM Vista DVD's on my shelf. If I install Vista on my current gaming system can I install it and retain my current file struture, mods etc? It there a difference between the full OEM install and the Upgrade (which I don not have)? Thanks!

A full install version needs no prior installation of Windows to see Vista go onto a system. That will include drive partitioning tools for a creating a new primary or reformatting an existing one to see a clean install of Windows.

Any upgrade disk simply replaces the existing version of Windows currently installed through the upgrade process where you run the installer while booted in the older version. Without any OS on that will not run without followig a certain method of seeing a full install with an upgrade disk.

just buy a new pc and install the oems on it...since the oems will be locked pretty much to that mobo...(variances aside)

are you so sure your apps don't work?

just buy a new pc and install the oems on it...since the oems will be locked pretty much to that mobo...(variances aside)

are you so sure your apps don't work?

The last time I checked Adobe Audition and Protools/Delta 1010 and the Layla 20 bit interfaces had not yet gone to Vista (The Layla may never get there.) But the questions is a good one since I haven't checked for a long time. However, on the gaming machiine, no one answered by question: Do I lose all my files and mods with Vista installation on an existing XP sp2 install? Thanks.

you shouldn't lose anything when you "upgrade" but I'll check on that later when I get home or if someone beats me to it...
specifically, whether or not you can upgrade from an oem disc

you shouldn't lose anything when you "upgrade" but I'll check on that later when I get home or if someone beats me to it...
specifically, whether or not you can upgrade from an oem disc

Thanks, I'm at work (California time) and I'll check at home later!

The last time I checked Adobe Audition and Protools/Delta 1010 and the Layla 20 bit interfaces had not yet gone to Vista (The Layla may never get there.) But the questions is a good one since I haven't checked for a long time. However, on the gaming machiine, no one answered by question: Do I lose all my files and mods with Vista installation on an existing XP sp2 install? Thanks.

What do you think I was referring to when mentioning creating a new primary? Vista will roll up the XP copy of Windows into a Windows.old folder rather then simply deleting the current Windows, DocumentsandSettings, and Program Files directories. That's if you see a successful upgrade.

You can then copy what you want out of that before seeing that removed completely. As far as games and all other programs you still will be starting fresh with the brand new registry then seen.

If something goes haywire in Vista note that there is no longer a repair install option available. You then have to see a full reinstall and often on a reformatted or brand new primary to start fresh all over again. The smart move is to first backup anything you want saved before going ahead with the installation.

If you upgrade you wont lose your XP stuff. But i will tell you right now that unless it is a fresh install of XP with ABSOLUTELY no issues with it the upgrade will most likely go wrong. Upgrades are never suggested. If you have any software on there that is not Vista compatible you will corrupt the system. Then netierh XP nor Vista will install.

Yes you will lose your Mods. Those are XP specific and will be gone when Vista is installed. Vista will revert itself to the factory defaults.

I haven't used an upgrade disk here since 95 to avoid problems like those. The current build sees XP installed to a second hard drive with Vista on the host since I still need XP for certain things lacking a Vista substitute for the time being.

When attempting to install Vista to a second primary on one drive it refused suggesting it wants the first primary just like XP does. When XP was later tried on a second primary to be added into the Vista boot loader on the current build XP saw problems.

To see both in a dual boot each was placed on their own drive respectively using a full install disk for each version. You may end up considering that option in order to preserve the current XP environment plus run Vista at the same time. Makaveli213 can provide you with some good tips on seeing something like this go well.

ok, what mods specifically are these?

I would say, to be on the safe side, backup your XP files you need, then attempt a dual boot. You will need partitioning software to shrink the xp partition. Or you can also opt for a separate drive.

as for the thing I was looking for, so far, it is said the oem will only clean install and not upgrade...a dual boot option seems to be the way

eye makes it sound scary for some, I guess it is for the people newer to installations :D

so dual boot on the same drive or get another drive? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom