Deleting file in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiinji

Baseband Member
I have a 0 byte file that has Hangul (Korean) characters in it. When I go to delete in Command Prompt the characters don't show just "???" and it won't delete normally. What to do?

Hello Shiinji,

What is the location of the file? It is probably malware of some sort.

The TakeOwership tool could be used unless it is a reflection from another drive if you recently changed drive letters. Right try right clicking on the file if found when browsing in Windows Explorer to see if the "read only" box is checked off. That will prevent easy removal of any file.

If you find that checked and still have problems after unchecking the box you can try the TakeOwnership mod for adding a new administrative option in the right click menu. Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Vista :: the How-To Geek

The registry mod there also works in XP too. While it maybe a partial copy of a language support file a good sweep with antivirus as well as antimalware programs wouldn't hurt either just in case of something having found on a way onto the system there.

A pair of free programs seem to catch quite a bit with the free version of AVG catching spywares, adwares, and other things along with viruses. AVG Free Advisor - Installation files & documentation

However when comparing Grisoft's antispyware program also seen at the link there to Spyware Terminato another freeware Grisoft lost! Free spyware removal and spyware protection - Spyware Terminator

To delete a file/folder windows will not delete because it is in use, First right click the file/folder, go to Properties, then UNCHECK the box that says "Read Only". Normally you go into safe mode - [ Hold the F8 key after you turn your computer on to get to the Boot menu and select "safe mode"] and then try and delete the file/folder from "safe mode".

IF the file/folder still will not delete then press "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "Delete" and look for the process that could be using the folder/file, right click it and click "end task" - Then try and delete the file/folder.

If the file/folder STILL doesn't want to leave, do the following. Go to Start|Run and type: MSCONFIG

Click the BOOT.ini tab and select "Check all boot paths" if this information says it needs to be changed. Do it.

Then go to "Services" and "Startup" and look for anything loading on your computer that doesn't have any name (Like Microsoft Corporation). DISABLE those!

Restart your computer. Go to safe mode, and delete the file/folder. :)

ALSO - I strongly recommend you download the trial anti-virus from Kaspersky.com

Kaspersky IS the best anti-virus ever made :)

Other note: AVP changed it's name to Kaspersky many years ago and Kaspersky is now the ultimate of the two.

Those are the main ways to delete a corrupt file. I scanned this and it seems to be correct.. I am rushing being as I am in school.

I hope this helps :)

Its not a virus. I redownloaded the file and it work but the first time I downloaded Firefox had froze and caused it to be corrupted and now I can't delete it in the cmd because the Hangul (Korean) and the file can't be renamed. If the file is a virus that means the second file I downloaded which is exactly the same would be a virus but it works perfectly fine. Its a .flv file or flash video. Any other suggestions? Also, thanks for the help above but those aren't working :confused:

What error do you receive when you try to delete it through explorer?

What is the path and filename?

If you cant delete it in safe mode i dont know what to say. As you said the file only shows ??? in a command prompt which means that the files is fully corrupted. Maybe use a Linux LiveCD and delete it as Windows wont load up at all and it wont corrupt the system at all.

Lately I had one file ghosting itself across drives with 0 bytes which simply disappeared without fuss. Everything tried lacked results since the file seemed to be a reflection of the shared recycle bin. If you are dual booting OSs across different drives you may seeing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom